Old September 14, 2011, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Tried it on VMware Workstation 7. Didn't work
Old September 14, 2011, 01:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

make sure you turn on virtualization in your bios.
Old September 14, 2011, 01:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I shall put it on my XPS m1330 tonight. This VirtualBox performance just isn't cutting it for me.
Old September 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
If you want to disable Metro UI entirely, you can open up the registry editor and change the value of RPEnabled to 0 instead of 1 at the following key: (via NeoWin)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\
Note that we’re not recommending this, because it makes installing Windows 8 fairly pointless.
Just a little info on how to disable METRO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 14, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Havan't microsoft said few month ago when they first showed pic of Win 8 that it would be possible to switch from this UI to a win7 looking UI?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 14, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I would imaging that there will be allot of modded versions of win 8 people using certain programs to remove things like the Stocks and shopping ca\rap, I also read that there is an Added antivirus installed which I don't like not having the option to uninstall or I should say not have installed . this is typical of MS to do
I believe that yes they do include defender/MSE but you can get rid of it. Also from my understanding it is only for this developer build. Once it gets further into the build with beta and rc it will not keep the preinstalled anti-virus. They are only doing this because they are also updating the version that is included and I believe that we don't have any other anti-virus that are guaranteed to work.

Old September 14, 2011, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Hi all,

Just installed Win 8 64 and it is not a problem in removing the icons and progs on the Start page.
Right click on Twitter or whatever and it gives you the option to unpin or uninstall.

I uninstalled all of the crap and now it looks and works much better.

As most of you know, I am a retired hardware/software engineer from Microsoft in Redmond, and I must admit, I am not too impressed at the moment.
Guess I will wait for RTM to make a final judgement.

Take care.......

* F@H Unit Points *
Old September 14, 2011, 06:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Some more tips from PC World too:
Windows 8 Also Has Tools for Power Users | PCWorld Business Center
Fold for team #54196
Old September 14, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh one thing that article reminded me about that is a feature I do really like that windows 8 has. That feature is the ability to mount iso and vhd files directly in explorer.

All in all if I can have a normal start menu then I think it will be a decent OS for the standard PC and a good one for tablets. I am just looking forward to a proper windows OS on tablets and then hopefully some good hardware to go alone with it. Then I can get people proper machines that they can actually use for work and integrate it with their desktop machines.

Old September 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, installed it on my laptop. It's laggy and etc but well, it's a pre RC so I don't mind. But can any one explain me HOW to close those stupid apps. I mean, there is no X or something to close them? for the rest, for now it's pretty like a slow win 7 with a new UI.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||