Old September 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

don't like this UI at all.. :l
Old September 13, 2011, 09:45 PM
Top Prospect

I agree.... this is so bad....

Apart from how they completely screwed up their UI, it feels just like windows 7. A really clunky windows 7. I cant help but notice that everything is made for fingers..... didn't they say that their new touch support would interfere with regular computing a few months back... that's a joke.

Unless there is something that will really help me, I see no reason to upgrade. Even if you can disable that start screen, and get a regular start menu, I don't need to spend $120 upgrading to something I like less, and am less efficient with.

Edit:

Here is the problem for keyboard and mouse users, the start screen is meant for touch users, obviously, so K/M users are supposed to just start typing to get what they want. I dont like that. I would much rather press the start icon, press all programs, press program x folder, press program x. I have been doing this for many years. I am good at it, much better than I am at typing. Even after I type the program I want to use, I still have to move my mouse up most of the screen to get to it, whereas with the regular menu, it is up a few hundred pixels. I also have to remove my hand from the mouse before I can move it up the 1000 pixels to the program. Really, it is just slow for K/M users.

Edit x2:

Some people have been saying that using a mouse to navigate the start menu is wrong, well, it isn't. I have access to everything from my computer, control panel, documents, and programs in a 250 x 800 pixel box. I don't like having to use a 1920x1080 start menu..... I think that people who think their windows key + typing is faster, or using touch controls will like this.

Last edited by NI3; September 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old September 13, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post

don't like this UI at all.. :l
Looks like Windows 7 just became the new Windows XP! Microsoft is trying too hard to be like Mac and their Windows Phone 8.
Old September 13, 2011, 11:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

So the real question is, has anybody figured out if its possible to change it or edit it in the Developer Preview? The only setting I've found is adjusting the contrast and it just makes everything black / purpe, instead of white / green

Or change the background of the new UI?
Old September 13, 2011, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will hopefully get this on a spare touch screen notebook at work soon but as for desktop use, I am disappointed. Sure there are many things I like, the new task manager looks good and finally proper multi-monitor support, but like NI3 said that start screen has got to go. Look it will be great for touch and such but I want my start menu. I know full well that I do not want my start menu taking up my entire display when it doesn't need to. All they need is a way to change to the proper start menu instead of those tiles. Hell make it a few layers deep as they don't really want people changing it but I just don't see this as working on a standard desktop.

That all said aside from the "start screen" what are peoples first thoughts?

Old September 13, 2011, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I will hopefully get this on a spare touch screen notebook at work soon but as for desktop use, I am disappointed. Sure there are many things I like, the new task manager looks good and finally proper multi-monitor support, but like NI3 said that start screen has got to go. Look it will be great for touch and such but I want my start menu. I know full well that I do not want my start menu taking up my entire display when it doesn't need to. All they need is a way to change to the proper start menu instead of those tiles. Hell make it a few layers deep as they don't really want people changing it but I just don't see this as working on a standard desktop.

That all said aside from the "start screen" what are peoples first thoughts?
Have not tried it yet and unless they fix the start I wont be using it, I am like you used the start + mouse since well forever.

I NO LIKE CHANGE!

Hopefully it is just a setting somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 13, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I looked through all of control panel and didn't see a way to change it.. i also don't like how they're integrating twitter in to everything, is it really necessary to have that much crap installed by default, from MS? I like my stuff minimalist, a start menu, no desktop icons, weather and system info on desktop and nothing more.
Old September 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
Top Prospect

Ignoring the start screen, I liked the new task manager and the new boot loader is a welcome change. I didn't like the ribbon for explorer, I never have, simply because of how they changed the names of things. Once you get into a program, it really just feels like windows 7. I didn't test out multimonitor support, but that seems like a nice improvement (finally). I did notice that aero snap looked different, rather than having a greyed out area where the window will be, it is simply a border, this isn't really a big deal, and there is likely a setting somewhere to change it.

Luckily there is still a while before it hits retail, I was just interested in the start screen, to see how it worked, in regards to K/M.

This is still a developers preview, and I guess I forgot that in my last post :P

Last edited by NI3; September 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old September 14, 2011, 03:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Anyone get it working in VMware Workstation? Obviously the Windows 7 settings don't appear to work as it throws a HAL error when trying to start the installation.
Old September 14, 2011, 04:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

VMWare doesn't support ahci 2.0, virtualbox does. Windows 8 requires ahci 2.0.