Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2011, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

Default Win7, 6950: Any way to use 2DVI+HDMI at once?

Hello helpful folks :)

I have a two-monitor setup that's been working well, and today I tried hooking my TV as well to my computer through HDMI on the my 6950. The TV was correctly detected and if I disable one of my monitors, I can manage to enable it in Windows.

The problem is that I need to disable one of my two monitors to enable the TV, otherwise I get an error. Mirroring one of the two monitors on the TV doesn't work either (that's what I'd like to do ideally). And yet the card is said to support up to 5 displays simultaneously...

Googling on the issue didn't give me any solid answers. Some people with a similar issue said they could get 3 monitors running at once only through the Displayport with an active DisplayPort converter, but the threads were old, and I have trouble fathoming that such a thing would be neccessary when there's an HDMI out on your video card. I don't know for sure though.

So, should I be able to use 2DVI+HDMI at once, or must I resort to adapters and getting new cables? Thank you for enlightening me

Val

Edit: on second thought, probably the wrong forum.. hard to tell. If its just Windows or ATI's drivers causing my issue, then great, but if its a hardware limitation, guess we can always move the thread :)

Last edited by Valamyr; September 9, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:59 PM

My System Specs

You need an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter. That is AFAIK the only way.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:01 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You need an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter. That is AFAIK the only way.
Hmm thank you. I think I'll just turn off my second monitor as needed then :/

That's a weird limitation.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect

Another question on this topic:

Assuming I cant get my hands on an adapter like that short term, is there good, simple software that allows to switch easily between two monitor/desktop configurations? I'm sure that's out there.

Quite simply, if I disable one of my monitors, my desktop icons are all screwed up, and I have to change my active monitor, etc. If there was a simple way to just switch between two pre-defined configs (one for the monitors, one for monitor+tv), then I could totally live with that.

Any suggestions?