Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2011, 02:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Microsoft Security Essentials

What's you opinion on this 'Award Winning' antivirus?

Used Norton 2011 & Avast (free version) and been happy with both.
Old August 29, 2011, 02:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Best AV IMO, seeing as microsoft knows their operating system better then anyone else.
Old August 29, 2011, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use it extensively on all my machines and never had an issue with it. Very good in my mind.

Old August 29, 2011, 04:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

My concern was that b/c its M$ there would be that many more malicious viruses aimed at it...

How does it run? Light in comparison to Norton? (although 2011 seems to run light)
Old August 29, 2011, 04:34 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its fairly lightweight and pretty good. IMHO better than Norton (was...refuse to trust them long enough to give their latest version a try).

IF you are worried about it being MS....go Avira. Their free version is VERY good.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 29, 2011, 05:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Its fairly lightweight and pretty good. IMHO better than Norton (was...refuse to trust them long enough to give their latest version a try).

IF you are worried about it being MS....go Avira. Their free version is VERY good.

YMMV
Thanks, I'll check it out. Heard the same from many ppl about Norton, funny thing is some of them bought laptops recently and used the free 3month version of Norton 2011 that came with the laptop.

Their tune has change in favor of it.
Old August 29, 2011, 05:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. Heard the same from many ppl about Norton, funny thing is some of them bought laptops recently and used the free 3month version of Norton 2011 that came with the laptop.

Their tune has change in favor of it.
The "new" Norton, since about 2010, is really light on resources, small footprint and really effective. I used to stay away from Norton because it was a resource hog and slowed down computers, but not anymore, I actually recommend it now.

For free ones it depends on the user; if I'm doing work for someone that doesn't know a lot, I'll put on MS Security Essentials. If the user has some knowledge and wants a little more flexibility then I use avast free.
Old August 29, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

I used to use Avast but now its just a bloated piece of software that I dislike.

MSE is great as it has a small footprint and works well on older XP to newer 7 machines without a hitch.

Norton Antivirus (not security) 2011 is actually pretty good and runs fairly decent on all machines I've installed it on.

Even with that said I'd rather install a paid AVG than Norton.
Old August 29, 2011, 06:58 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yeah it seems that Norton got its act together. Better than it used to be for resources for sure. Still, I would not pay for an antivirus nowadays as the free options are solid. Microsoft Security Essentials for me too.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 29, 2011, 07:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah I agree. Free AV plus twenty bucks for the lifetime pro version of Malwarebytes is a better combo than most paid AV's. :>

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr