Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/45988-microsoft-security-essentials.html)

The Quicken August 29, 2011 02:04 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials

What's you opinion on this 'Award Winning' antivirus?

Used Norton 2011 & Avast (free version) and been happy with both.

supaflyx3 August 29, 2011 02:10 AM

Best AV IMO, seeing as microsoft knows their operating system better then anyone else.

ipaine August 29, 2011 02:47 AM

Use it extensively on all my machines and never had an issue with it. Very good in my mind.

The Quicken August 29, 2011 04:28 AM

My concern was that b/c its M$ there would be that many more malicious viruses aimed at it...

How does it run? Light in comparison to Norton? (although 2011 seems to run light)

AkG August 29, 2011 04:34 AM

Its fairly lightweight and pretty good. IMHO better than Norton (was...refuse to trust them long enough to give their latest version a try).

IF you are worried about it being MS....go Avira. Their free version is VERY good.

YMMV

The Quicken August 29, 2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 544928)
Its fairly lightweight and pretty good. IMHO better than Norton (was...refuse to trust them long enough to give their latest version a try).

IF you are worried about it being MS....go Avira. Their free version is VERY good.

YMMV

Thanks, I'll check it out. Heard the same from many ppl about Norton, funny thing is some of them bought laptops recently and used the free 3month version of Norton 2011 that came with the laptop.

Their tune has change in favor of it.

ccm001 August 29, 2011 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quicken (Post 544936)
Thanks, I'll check it out. Heard the same from many ppl about Norton, funny thing is some of them bought laptops recently and used the free 3month version of Norton 2011 that came with the laptop.

Their tune has change in favor of it.

The "new" Norton, since about 2010, is really light on resources, small footprint and really effective. I used to stay away from Norton because it was a resource hog and slowed down computers, but not anymore, I actually recommend it now.

For free ones it depends on the user; if I'm doing work for someone that doesn't know a lot, I'll put on MS Security Essentials. If the user has some knowledge and wants a little more flexibility then I use avast free.

enaberif August 29, 2011 06:56 AM

I used to use Avast but now its just a bloated piece of software that I dislike.

MSE is great as it has a small footprint and works well on older XP to newer 7 machines without a hitch.

Norton Antivirus (not security) 2011 is actually pretty good and runs fairly decent on all machines I've installed it on.

Even with that said I'd rather install a paid AVG than Norton.

chrisk August 29, 2011 06:58 AM

Yeah it seems that Norton got its act together. Better than it used to be for resources for sure. Still, I would not pay for an antivirus nowadays as the free options are solid. Microsoft Security Essentials for me too.

AkG August 29, 2011 07:01 AM

Yeah I agree. Free AV plus twenty bucks for the lifetime pro version of Malwarebytes is a better combo than most paid AV's. :>