Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2011, 03:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, my Norton 2011 runs out pretty quick so I'll be giving MSE a try then, honestly just didn't know much about it. Programmer at work uses Avast free version and I know He has access to MSE so this why I ask.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I personally never install any type of AV or malware scanning programs I have them on pendrives and up date the definitions once in a while and scan once in a while I think of it this way if you do get a virus then it most likely is going to shut down any security you have on your system . I haven't had a virus in a very long time just as long as you keep things that have access to the internet updated ( flash thing like that) then your fairely secure. most bad things out there are usually written to get into corporations or companies.
Old August 30, 2011, 04:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I personally never install any type of AV or malware scanning programs I have them on pendrives and up date the definitions once in a while and scan once in a while I think of it this way if you do get a virus then it most likely is going to shut down any security you have on your system . I haven't had a virus in a very long time just as long as you keep things that have access to the internet updated ( flash thing like that) then your fairely secure. most bad things out there are usually written to get into corporations or companies.

I don't get viruses either, although I seem to be consistently eradicating them off of friends machines. But I think it's suicide to surf without one on a non-Linux OS.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

3/4 of virus prevention is user controlled. Hell, I might even go as high as to say 9/10ths. I can't remember the last time my virus program gave me a warning that it found/stopped a virus/etc.

Knowing not to click on that junk there, download sketchy file Y, or not to visit shady site Z will seriously help reduce your risk of viruses. That being said, for the amount of resources MSE takes up, I just let a copy run. It's not hurting me any.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 31, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll second that comment.... even if it was Sagath saying it....
Old December 6, 2011, 03:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

What about Windows Defender -- seems be an anti-spyware adjunct to whatever anti-virus program you're running.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I'll second that comment.... even if it was Sagath saying it....
or anything says Free (to load trojans)

Windows Defender is same as Essentials just win7 format
Old December 6, 2011, 04:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Actually it seems MSE will disabled Windows Defender (at least on my computer anyways) automatically when it is installed.
Old December 6, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
or anything says Free (to load trojans)

Windows Defender is same as Essentials just win7 format
windows defender is junk.

mse is far superior and runs on xp, vista and 7