Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Unless you want to be able to use the 8GB of RAM you purchased?
Hence the "Whatever works for you works" statement.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

In my case, since I look into VMs, I think a 64bit with more available memory might be the best option.
In a 8gb scenario, the guest os could be allocated a decent 4gb while the host os keeps the remaining 4gb; ensuring decent performance on the guest since the host shouldn't bottleneck too much.
I run a quad core, so I'd "give" 2 cores to the guest os. Although 1 would probably be enough.

I don't plan on running VMs simultaneously*sp?*, so my current cpu should be able to keep up just fine.

I'm debating between VMWarePlayer and VirtualBox, but I think I'll go with VirtualBox since that one seems to offer more setting options.
I run both on my work computer and they both run flawlessly.
Old August 18, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The second you mentioned VM I think you answered your question for the memory - however, you'll want to upgrade the memory before testing out programs that take up multiple gigabytes of RAM. Unless your GPU is forcing your 32-bit OS to use only 3 out of the 4 GB of your RAM, the 64-bit OS may use 4 GB RAM less effectively than 32-bit OS because of the WOW64 stuff and the way the little variables in each program may use 64 bits instead of 32. For example, the original Supreme Commander game without appropriate mods can crash out due to lack of memory on a 64-bit OS faster than it does on 32-bit.

What are you planning to run on the guest OS? I never needed more than 2 GB on a guest OS (mainly because any heavy stuff I'd find a Windows version and run it on the host).
Old August 18, 2011, 05:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
What are you planning to run on the guest OS? I never needed more than 2 GB on a guest OS (mainly because any heavy stuff I'd find a Windows version and run it on the host).
There would likely be 2 guests.
- 1 for general browsing and youtube type stuff

- 1 for torrents and high risk downloads. Once the downloaded torrents have proven to be "good" and crap free, then they would get moved over to the "general browsing" guest.

Other than games, my computer doesn't see much action.
Old August 18, 2011, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

cough cough : 24 GB here

Don.t realy know if I need it but when its needed its there. some programs eat it like candy :)
Old August 18, 2011, 08:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
cough cough : 24 GB here

Don.t realy know if I need it but when its needed its there. some programs eat it like candy :)
lol
24 would be way overkill for my needs. And my board only supports up to 16gb anyway