Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2011, 08:01 AM
Top Prospect

Default Windows 7 Sleeping NIC

Anyone have any idea how to stop the NIC from going to sleep? I have already gone to the Advanced-> "the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and disallowed it but it still happens.

Interesting part is that if I have something running that is generating network activity it doesn't happen. If I am running a torrent client I can VNC into my box at any time.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm actually running into a similar issue with my laptop. Regardless of what options/settings I try, the NIC still goes to sleep and does not awaken properly along with the rest of the laptop. Hopefully someone else here can chime in...
Old August 16, 2011, 11:06 AM
Banned
F@H

perhaps install the nic's manufacturer utility so the onboard(nic?) doesn't go on auto? :)
Old August 16, 2011, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Is there a BIOS option that needs to be enabled? Also are you sure the computer is going into S3 state?
Old August 16, 2011, 08:15 PM
Top Prospect

Nothing jumped out in the BIOS, and it somehow behaves like O/S activity. Same system, XP never did this anyway. Not positive S3, but 'Put computer to sleep after 30 mins is selected'. I will have to validate behaviour to time when the NIC is sleeping.
Old August 17, 2011, 04:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you go into Device Manager and open up the properties for the Network Adapter, I believe there's an Advanced tab in there with a bunch of settings? There might be some energy stuff in there perhaps.
Old August 17, 2011, 04:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quick update. Uninstalled whatever NIC driver W7 installed by default, and downloaded and installed the driver package from Intel. I believe this solved my issue....
Old August 18, 2011, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
If you go into Device Manager and open up the properties for the Network Adapter, I believe there's an Advanced tab in there with a bunch of settings? There might be some energy stuff in there perhaps.
Sadly that is not it. There is a clear Power Management setting that says not to turn it off and yet it does. I *think* the effect of that on my system is that is it is allowed to go into power saving it will, if it is not allowed here then it will only turn off if it sees no activity.

I am going to try to replace the drivers (despite the long-earned fear of removing NIC drivers from Windows)

EDIT: Installed over top and nothing, will try the remove and install tonight.

Last edited by Herne; August 23, 2011 at 07:10 AM.