Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2011, 09:43 AM
Rookie

Default Backup fully updated OS

I just brought home an ASUS G73SW-A1 and I'm wondering if I can make a backup of my fully updated Windows 7 Home OS. I made the recovery cd's and a repair disc. Is it possible to repair it to a fully updated OS instead of having to go through all the time of replacing all of the updates and programs after a problem has happened?
Old August 14, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You'll need drive imaging software to do that since you're on Windows 7 Home. The Pro and Ultimate versions have drive image functionality built-in.
I use Acronis True Image which has worked but it is paid software. There are free alternatives but I can't recommend any as I haven't tried those recently.
Old August 14, 2011, 10:13 AM
Rookie

what is the drive software called that windows 7 has built into to pro?

Bluetooth Apple Keyboad | Magic Mouse | Touchpad
| Mac OSX 10.7
3x Dell U2311H | Logitech G15 & G9 | Sennhesier HD555 | Windows 7 Pro
Old August 14, 2011, 11:00 AM

My System Specs

Backup and Restore
Old August 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I believe he would be referring to backup and restore. Although frankly I don't like it, but that said if all you want is one simple backup then it should work. I myself also use Acronis True Image and find it works quite well.

Old August 14, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will 3rd Acronis. It is the best I have used out on the market and totally worth the $.

One of the really nice features Acronis has is the function for it to make a boot USB thumbdrive option. I keep an old 256meg one loaded with it at all times. Makes for easy data/OS recovery in a pinch. It is also user friendly and easy to use/understand even for non-technical people (my Dad has a copy, got a really bad virus, and restored his OS himself).
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what about EaseUS Free I was using that to back up my OS it is free and easy to use
Old August 14, 2011, 01:52 PM

My System Specs

I've never successfully had Windows 7's Backup and Restore work once. Everytime I've tried to restore and image it fails for one reason or another.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:11 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm with Ipaine and LowFat on the windows backup fail.
The Elder Geek has a section dedicated to slipstreaming updates into a copy of your OS install disk. Provided there is no hardware changes it works fine for a legit clean install. You will need a dvd burner to make the disk and your original install disk. RAID setups require some finesse and the boards raid drivers to be available too. If you are going to raid at all Acronis gets a 4th thumbs up.