Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2011, 07:20 PM
Banned
F@H

Default Google Desktop Search

got really fed up with winder's indexing fiasco(basically my pc would either crawl to a growling slow mo crawl or searches would take days) so i looked up for a free alternative.

got it going for little over a week now. pretty zippy. indexing took a few hours due to the few 2tb hard drives populating the pc but its quite awsome.

Google Desktop Download

watch out for the encryption part and make backups(remember ya password) if you use it
Old August 9, 2011, 05:55 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
got really fed up with winder's indexing fiasco(basically my pc would either crawl to a growling slow mo crawl or searches would take days) so i looked up for a free alternative.

got it going for little over a week now. pretty zippy. indexing took a few hours due to the few 2tb hard drives populating the pc but its quite awsome.

Google Desktop Download

watch out for the encryption part and make backups(remember ya password) if you use it
And be comfortable with the usage agreement.
Old August 9, 2011, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

meh i think windows search already does a good job, why fix something that aint broke.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
Banned
F@H

usage what?
Old August 9, 2011, 11:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

You know...the thing that everybody checks the "I accept" box without actually reading :P
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 9, 2011, 12:02 PM
Banned
F@H

right,i got that lol.

i didnt get the confortable part.
Old August 9, 2011, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
right,i got that lol.

i didnt get the confortable part.
In somewhat typical Google fashion, the agreement you enter into contains things that some people are not comfortable with for reasons like privacy and what Google is, or might be, allowed to do with what they are indexing. That doesn't mean it is not useful, or that there is no reason to accept it but know what you are comfortable with.

Example that the EFF is not happy with is the setting that copies files to Google servers.:
Google Copies Your Hard Drive - Government Smiles in Anticipation | Electronic Frontier Foundation
Old August 9, 2011, 12:27 PM
Banned
F@H

oh,that.

ok. all legal here lol so no worries :)