Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2011, 02:35 PM
Rookie

Default Spinrite followed by an OEM install

My desktop running XP died recently unable to boot from the WinXP partition.

When I boot from USB with Puppy Linux, I'm able to mount all the partitions/drives except for the XP partition.

My first thought is to get Spinrite and see if I can get the partition working again. Sadly (I know, I know) I do have a few data files on there I'd like to get my hands on, so I'd really like to see if I can get those files.

I was then considering doing an upgrade to Win7 by getting an OEM edition (I built the PC). Since it's not an in place upgrade, will I have any problems in any way installing an OEM Win7?

So I guess two main themes:

1) have you guys had success with Spinrite? Worth the purchase?
2) safe to assume I can do an OEM Win7 install if I format the XP partition?
Old July 12, 2011, 04:49 PM
Allstar

To be honest I've tended to use hddregenerator more often and have had good success with that. The few times I've used Spinrite it when hddregen didn't work so I think the drives were beyond repair anyways. Also, Spinrite takes a very long time to run in my experience. Is the main hard drive being see in the bios? If so I'd try Hiren's boot cd as it has mini xp which will let you copy files from the drive, do a chkdsk etc. It also has hddregenerator so you can try that out and see if it can move the files from the bad sectors.

Edit: make sure to figure out if the hard drive is toast first. No sense wasting your time installing Win7 until you know for sure.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old July 12, 2011, 05:23 PM
Banned
F@H

pop in ubuntu or mint on a cd and email yourself or copy to usb
the files, wipe the drive if need be and take it from there.
Old July 12, 2011, 05:54 PM
Rookie

That's the problem right now...not only can XP not boot off that partition, but my *nix Live CDs can't mount the partition. The other partitions mount just fine.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:07 PM
Banned
F@H

so you cant access it at all?

can you copy paste the whole thing,not just individual files?

had to do that on a busted drive once and it worked.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
Rookie

yeh, can't mount it with a Nix, TestDisk can't see the files, etc. That's why I was thinking of getting spinrite.
Old July 12, 2011, 08:12 PM
Banned
F@H

and if you were to install winders on another drive?

or put this in another puter?

more work but maybe youll have success?
Old July 13, 2011, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm since you're using Linux, you could use it to clone that questionable hard drive to another drive of equal or larger size if you have one - that will allow you to play with the copy of the drive without killing the original.

AFTER you found out which drive is which in your Linux, you can use something like:
Code:
dd if=/dev/[original drive] of=/dev/[empty hard drive] bs=4096
With the items in square brackets usually being something like sdX (sda, sdb, sdc...)
I know there's a "ddrescue" if the regular "dd" doesn't work but I haven't used that much.

Also, did you try using a Windows XP install disk to repair or mount the partition? Note I recommend cloning the disk if you can before trying something like that.

You can also try the same with a Windows 7 install disk if you choose the "Command Prompt" option. (skip all the "auto repair" options)

I normally see my Windows partitions mouted with a random drive letter like D: or E: in the Win7 installer's command prompt.
Old July 13, 2011, 07:39 AM
Rookie

Yes, tried using the xp install disc a while back. (Haven't touched this one in a while so just getting back to trying to recover it.)

When I ran testdisk, it was able to detect the drive and even the size of the damaged partition.

Here's the results from the TestDisk log when I tried to access it:

A valid NTFS Boot sector must be present in order to access any data; even if the partition is not bootable.
Incomplete multi sector transfer detected in $MFT.
ntfs_mft_load(): Failed.
repair_MFT
NTFS at 0/1/1
MFT and MFT mirror are bad. Failed to repair them.
Old July 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
Rookie

tried to copy the full drive with dd. Failed.
Copied the good partitions over to an external drive. Ran XP's recovery console. Fix Boot, Fix MBR. Still can't access the file system on the boot partition.
Sigh...

Tags
spinrite windows 7 oem