Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Problems with buying Windows 7 Ultimate (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/44666-problems-buying-windows-7-ultimate.html)

Antanas July 4, 2011 07:56 AM

Problems with buying Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello, I'm building a new PC and I want to buy a retail full licensed version of Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't want OEM or any other kind of version. In my country Lithuania (Europe) it's ridiculously overpriced to $500 so I must buy it from the internet. I was about to buy it from Ebay for around $50-100 but then I figured out the truth. My friend informed me about all that region stuff. I mean most of them are "for distribution in US only" and thus the activation code is not going to work in my country Lithuania (Europe). Also I figured out that most of them on Ebay are fakes and really are OEM or other kind of versions but not the genuine retail full licensed versions. So what should I do? Tell me if I'm wrong about the region stuff. I'm really new to this stuff. Thanks in advance and excuse me for my terrible English.

Antanas July 4, 2011 09:11 AM

Is someone going to help me?

Answer me this then. Let's say I get a genuine retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate. Not the fake one but real. And if it's said on it "FOR DISTRIBUTION IN US ONLY" will I be able to install, activate and use it in Lithuania (Europe) without any problems?

For example this one. This seller have feedback score of 4423 and 99.6% positive feedback.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 & 64 bit Full version SEALED! | eBay

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/fearthepug/win7_%282%29.JPG

enaberif July 4, 2011 09:13 AM

Why do you want Ultimate so bad for?

Is there something you NEED from it? Home Premium is all anyone really needs.

Antanas July 4, 2011 09:38 AM

There are a few reasons. I can change my mind but first I want to figure this out.

enaberif July 4, 2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antanas (Post 530052)
There are a few reasons. I can change my mind but first I want to figure this out.

Well unfortunately when buying software like this from ebay I'll always say stay away as you never have any idea if it really is legit or what.

Antanas July 4, 2011 09:50 AM

Yes I know. But my question is if it's said on the box "FOR DISTRIBUTION IN US ONLY" will I be able to install, activate and use it in Lithuania (Europe) without any problems? Or there is special version of Europe?

ipaine July 4, 2011 10:04 AM

I actually believe that there are different versions (has to do with IE) in Europe. But that said I'm not totally sure if you can activate without issue. I mean you always could use a proxy to activate it but not totally sure if that would be 100% legal.

Eldonko July 4, 2011 10:04 AM

Pretty sure it will activate fine anywhere (if it is legit), the "FOR DISTRIBUTION IN US ONLY" just means it is sold in US. Why dont you give MS a call and ask?

Soultribunal July 4, 2011 10:27 AM

I personally think there are no issues with activating and using it. Most of the time those distribution notes are because of (not all the time) compliance with industry standards etc etc...not related to the use of the actual product.

Ultimate does have some features that HP does lack Ena, and if that is what the OP is looking for then I sypathize as to WHy he needs it.

Buying it online like that though....buyer beware.

ST

enaberif July 4, 2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 530084)
I personally think there are no issues with activating and using it. Most of the time those distribution notes are because of (not all the time) compliance with industry standards etc etc...not related to the use of the actual product.

Ultimate does have some features that HP does lack Ena, and if that is what the OP is looking for then I sypathize as to WHy he needs it.

Buying it online like that though....buyer beware.

ST

That is why I asked. I understand the differences but some people are just compelled to spend a whack of money on Ultimate or Pro when they don't need it.

Remember Vista Ultimate? The only reason most people wanted it for was Dreamscene :P