Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2011, 12:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Win 7 SP1 troubles

I am having grief with the installation of Win 7 SP1. It says it gets installed successfully, but it always fails when trying to configure.
Old July 2, 2011, 04:30 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I've never been able to install it either, every other update no problems but this one fails every time. Keep a Windows Update_800F081F code, I run the Upgrade Trouble Shooter, it makes some fixes and says try again, then it fails again. I've been running Google searches and trying thing for weeks but no luck, somethings broken somewhere and I have no idea where.

Another Guy From Canada

Last edited by Snarl; July 2, 2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old July 3, 2011, 01:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm still getting grief with SP1. I installed the System Update Readiness Tool Hotfix and turned of my Microsoft secriuty and it still will not go past 2% on the configure after reboot. I'm at the point of saying "**** it" and not bother installing Win 7 Service Pack 1.
Old July 3, 2011, 05:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try the installer from MS's web site?
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

I've never tried to install the SP with Windows update, because I always put SP1 over a fresh install using the aforementioned installer, and I haven't had any troubles with that method. You want the X86 or X64 .EXE ones.
Old July 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've had no issues installing SP1 on all the 12 PCs (yes, I have too many) in my house. The ones that did have issues, the System Update Readiness Tool solved it.

How did you install Windows 7? Was it from a legit disc or one obtained in alternate methods? Likewise, did you make any tweaks to the disc? Those sort of things always have negative side effects. And once the system was up and running, did you do anything to modify core Windows components?
Old July 3, 2011, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just finished trying to install the Win 7 sp1 with the installer from Microsoft Website and the configure still fails at 2% after reboot.

Yes JD, I do have a legit disc. I have the Win 7 Home premium Upgrade disc's both 32-bit and 64-bit. I'm currently using the 32-bit version.
Old July 3, 2011, 06:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ah, so you upgraded from Vista/XP? Maybe that's why.

I personally despise of OS upgrades (at least for Windows). It either causes issues immediately, or down the road. MS has yet to master upgrading their OS'es...probably due to their way of managing installs via the registry.

If it won't install, I don't think it's a big deal. SP1 was more of a cumulative update. No new features were introduced really (compared to XP SP2 for example).
Old July 3, 2011, 06:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It may be a Upgrade disc. But I first did a reformat so the HDD was clean and did a fresh install of Win 7 32-bit.
Old July 3, 2011, 06:54 PM
Banned
F@H

sp's are best applied after a fresh install. even then you're not guaranteed it'll be smooth sailing :)

upgrade winders and then sp? it can get ugly.

can you install it fresh? if memory serves right you can do that with the upgrade discs too.
Old July 4, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah probably the upgrade screwing it up. I DLed SP1 and burned to a DVD and just install from there to save time. No issues with about a dozen installs.