Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Imaging software for dissimilar hardware?

Hey all;
I am looking for some disk imaging software that is ideal for dissimilar hardware (ie windows XP + installed programs, but different mobo models, video cards, other drivers etc).

Would be using DVD/CDs as the main backup media, and perhaps a USB hard drive. These are slightly older machines (mostly P4s, maybe some C2Duos).

The machines in question will not be using a server to image, and the machines may not have internet access...so the imaging software should have full functionality withotu any type of activation.

I don't need incremental or differential backups, just need to be able to restore a computer's default state with applications installed.

I have also thought about Deep Freeze or similar software...any thoughts?

Thanks.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 22, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Acronis with their universal restore option can do it, although I haven't tried it that much.

Old June 22, 2011, 02:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Typically speaking, you wouldn't use those kinds of software.

It would be best to put together your own customized XP installation disc and slipstream in the drivers and programs you need. I've been doing this for years now mainly with the help of nLite and various forums that offer addons, driver packs and update packs.

Granted it might take a bit longer to create and perhaps install, but at least each time you'd have a clean machine as the end product.

I could help you get started if you want via PM or Steam.
Old June 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Typically speaking, you wouldn't use those kinds of software.

It would be best to put together your own customized XP installation disc and slipstream in the drivers and programs you need. I've been doing this for years now mainly with the help of nLite and various forums that offer addons, driver packs and update packs.

Granted it might take a bit longer to create and perhaps install, but at least each time you'd have a clean machine as the end product.

I could help you get started if you want via PM or Steam.
I thought about a slipstreamed OS disk which I have done before, but there would also be 20+ pieces of software that would also have to be reinstalled. I would like to have the software deployed with the backup media too.

This is being used in a high school environment, so the users are considered 'hostile' to the PC. Our current environment is too restrictive which causes issues with some software we want to use, so I am hoping to create a 'sand box' for these particular students to use that will not restrict them too much, but will allow me to quickly reimage machines when vandalism occurs.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 22, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Slipstream an XP ISO with all the drivers/software, then put that on a USB flash drive. (or an external HDD if it's too big) Use WinSetupFromUSB. (Google) I've never tried it with 20+ programs included though, so you're going to have to test if the ISO will work like that or not.

Problem I see with plain imaging is the potential for activation issues, especially when you're letting your students play around all they want.
Old June 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Our current environment is too restrictive which causes issues with some software we want to use
Impossible. I do software packaging every day in a locked down environment. There's ways to make things work, it just takes effort

And assuming all that software has silent switches, it wouldn't be much of an issue IMO.

I'd suggest looking into sysprep and building a proper image for deployment purposes if you don't want to do slipstreaming.

I can only see issues with using home backup software on dissimilar hardware and in an "enterprise" environment.

My other thought, run Linux as the base OS, and then use VirtualBox/VMWare to run XP on top. Then you can just scrap the VM image and copy over a clean one.
Old June 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Impossible. I do software packaging every day in a locked down environment. There's ways to make things work, it just takes effort

And assuming all that software has silent switches, it wouldn't be much of an issue IMO.

I'd suggest looking into sysprep and building a proper image for deployment purposes if you don't want to do slipstreaming.

I can only see issues with using home backup software on dissimilar hardware and in an "enterprise" environment.

My other thought, run Linux as the base OS, and then use VirtualBox/VMWare to run XP on top. Then you can just scrap the VM image and copy over a clean one.
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought slipstreaming allowed drivers to be included in the installation CD only...you are saying I can install all our additional software as well?
Fold for team #54196
Old June 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought slipstreaming allowed drivers to be included in the installation CD only...you are saying I can install all our additional software as well?
It's possible via certain nlite addons. But the issue is you have a large number of software programs to include on the ISO, which requires you to install XP off a large flash drive/external HDD. Installing XP from anything other than a CD can be problematic if you slipstream too many drivers into the ISO, let alone 20+ programs.

You'd have to try and see if it will work for you, which is going to take some time.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
It's possible via certain nlite addons. But the issue is you have a large number of software programs to include on the ISO, which requires you to install XP off a large flash drive/external HDD. Installing XP from anything other than a CD can be problematic if you slipstream too many drivers into the ISO, let alone 20+ programs.

You'd have to try and see if it will work for you, which is going to take some time.
I was thinking more along the lines of launching a batch file during RunOnce which would install the apps off external media (or manually run the batch off a USB HDD once the PC is up and running). I do this with my XP disc, though it runs the software installers off a network share.

But really, it depends on the size of the software and how much compression it'll take. You can trim down XP SP3 to roughly 500MB, so you'd have ~200MB for software installers.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The two biggest programs as far as size would go would be AutoCAD Architectural desktop 2010 and Mastercam. I was hoping to use DVDs for the most part. We currently use Tivoli, and also used RDM in the past but those options use a server and at the school we don't have full access to the server.
Fold for team #54196