Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have also used the slipstream method and while yes it can work (I had about 10 or so apps) but it takes way way longer than an image. You are still looking at a long install with the slipstream while with the image you can be much quicker. I have an image that I might be able to try on some different hardware tomorrow at work (maybe) and I'll let you know how it goes.

Really the image way is a much better option, even more so when you have larger software such as autocad and mastercam. Here is some info on the Acronis Universal Restore

Old June 22, 2011, 10:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i think you are asking too much out of windows XP

Windows 7 and Server 2008 (windows deployment services) will achieve what you are asking for.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:39 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The Acronis solution might be the best bet.

I know my requiremnts are a pain and thanks all for the suggestions. 20 applications might even be underestimating the amount of crap that will be installed on the image now that I look at what we currently use (add Photoshop Elements, Macromedia Studio MX, some science probeware software, MS office, Open Office, as well as the CAD and Mastercam).
Fold for team #54196
Old August 10, 2011, 12:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I thought about a slipstreamed OS disk which I have done before, but there would also be 20+ pieces of software that would also have to be reinstalled. I would like to have the software deployed with the backup media too.

This is being used in a high school environment, so the users are considered 'hostile' to the PC. Our current environment is too restrictive which causes issues with some software we want to use, so I am hoping to create a 'sand box' for these particular students to use that will not restrict them too much, but will allow me to quickly reimage machines when vandalism occurs.
Hello. First let me apologize to the mods for being a DW and having my first post be a shameless plug. i'm generally just a lurker.

chrisk, check out "Smart Deploy". It uses a similar deployment strategy to the "Golden Image" but adds deploy time driver injection/tasks and has a pretty simple interface. We may even have the driver packs if you're using enterprise class hardware. if not you can create them yourself.

The other guys are correct by saying it would be best to just create a clean master image instead of using a backup/recovery strategy. You don't have to use my software, there are quite a few ways to acomplish this using other products. However we do support WDS, CD sets and DVD sets as deployment media sources. I'm working on adding Linux PXE server support but that won't be ready for a month or so.

If not, feel free to pick my brain for an alternate solution.

Cheers
bg
Old August 28, 2011, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AutoCAD 2012 - Online Tab - YouTube

Look Here

Auto cad on Andriod Phone / Iphone / Ipad / Andriod Pad

Targa 3 out soon

targa 2 = 1080P out by Hdmi

Yep Yep
Old August 29, 2011, 01:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And that has what to do with imaging software for dissimilar hardware?

Old August 29, 2011, 06:39 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Nothing to do with my question, but I still sent the video to my colleagues as our license gives us the option to get 2012 in our labs. Cool stuff.
Fold for team #54196