Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2011, 07:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Best free software to edit video files with?

I don't know the first thing about video editing and that is not really what I want to do.

I have 10 Episodes of a certain show that I really like and I was hoping someone could recommend the best software I could use to remove all the "Intro" clips and Ending credits from each episode I have so I can render all 10 episodes into one long film and I'll just have like a black fade in place of the introduction and credits.

I will keep one introduction at the beginning of the show (turned film) and have the last episodes credits at the end and I am not going to be distributing this anyway I just want to make it one long film so that I can watch the entire season without having to see the credits and introduction every episode this should also significantly decrease the length as well which would be good lol.

I only ask because I have no idea what to use, I tried using Windows Movie maker but the first episodes file type was not compatible with WMM (.mkv)

As always I will really appreciate any help!

Thanks guys.
Old June 21, 2011, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It is not worth the time and effort. Your best off using your play list and or click the next button.
Old June 21, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

virtualdub ?
Old June 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ha, it's probably not. I just remember using a friends Sony Vegas where I could have done this really easily I remember just being able to highlight and delete the parts I didn't want and then it's done, I could do all 10 episodes in like 15 minutes and that's going at a un-rushed pace, I would normally just skip but for some reason it wont work with this show. But yeah no Vegas Pro for me so I cant do that.

-
Thanks for suggesting virtualdub, I had a look and at the very least it will let me convert all the non-compatible files to .avi so I can do it in WMM so thanks for that! Odds are it will be easer to do it all in virtualdub.

Thanks!
Old June 22, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

virtudub would the easiest free edition. or if it's a one time thing you could try downloaded the trial of premiere pro. (not sure if there are export limitations)

Old June 22, 2011, 08:28 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yeah, it isn't free but as you said, Sony Vegas HD is (IMO) the best program out there that doesn't cost an absolute fortune.
Old June 22, 2011, 09:11 AM
Rookie

Lightworks - Free Open Source NLE that is actually surprisingly powerful and much better than any MS Movie Maker crap. Their claim to fame is in being the NLE of choice for award winning movies (apparently)

Also supports tons of different formats, including ACVHD.
Old June 28, 2011, 12:56 AM
Rookie

Try AviDemux:

Avidemux - Main Page

It's a basic interface but has a lot of features. I believe you should be able to accomplish what you want using it.