Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use 7-zip for at least 3 years, and I almost exclusively use the context menus. For extracting files, you can't do much better than a left-click + right-click + drag + left-click. (i.e. left-click the RAR/ZIP/7z/... file, hold right button, drag to destination folder, then select "extract here" or extract to folder)
If I wanted something really special with the extract, I generally just do whatever it is I needed to do with the extracted files with Windows Explorer.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

with winrar, i just right click on the archive and click extract here, this way you avoid the pop up message, also this increases extract speed as it skips the temp dir and extracts directly to the current dir

i used to love 7zip, was one of the first with x64 support, but a few years ago i had a strangely compressed .rar that would corrupt with it, havent used it since
Old May 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook06 View Post
with winrar, i just right click on the archive and click extract here, this way you avoid the pop up message, also this increases extract speed as it skips the temp dir and extracts directly to the current dir

i used to love 7zip, was one of the first with x64 support, but a few years ago i had a strangely compressed .rar that would corrupt with it, havent used it since
This isn't an issue between 7zip and Winrar; it has to do with how the file was compressed.
Old June 1, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
This isn't an issue between 7zip and Winrar; it has to do with how the file was compressed.
Well chalk me up as another person who just had issues with 7zip. Files unzip fine with winrar but not with 7zip.

And sure you can blame the way the file was compressed but isn't that a cop out? I mean it is an issue since the one program does it without issues and the other can't do it without issues.

Old June 2, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well chalk me up as another person who just had issues with 7zip. Files unzip fine with winrar but not with 7zip.

And sure you can blame the way the file was compressed but isn't that a cop out? I mean it is an issue since the one program does it without issues and the other can't do it without issues.
There are several programs to create rar files
Old June 4, 2011, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the input. I'll try both
Old June 4, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
There are several programs to create rar files

I know that, what I am saying is that whatever program you are using should be able to handle all rar files. And the fact that I have rar files that unzip as corrupt when using 7zip but unzip without issues using winrar.

I'm just saying that winrar always works great for me while I have some issues with 7zip.

Old July 7, 2011, 04:05 AM
Rookie

7-zip all the way. This is coming from a guy who used to use command line DOS apps to unzip files.

I've used em all, 7-zip has the best compression.