Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't have a AV program installed on my PC I just use a portable bunch that I have so if I ever get infected I should be able to get rid of it because my AV separate is and because there are so many different types. I have only been screwed up once and that was from just visiting a website I didn't even click on anything and was infected, it took me a while but the reason why I was infected was because my java web browser stuff wasn't updated . since then I installed secunia and once every 1-2 days I fire it up to make sure all of my software is up to date .
Old May 29, 2011, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Software

Yeah, mine was so bad I had to re-install windows. Didn't have avira either. Probably different but opened a

delivery notice as I was expecting something and BAM!!!

Couldn't do anything at all, so formatted and fresh install.

Since then haven't opened anymore and there seem 2 b lots of 'em.

PITA! Dammit.
Old May 29, 2011, 05:47 PM
Allstar

Ad-aware and Spybot (can also include Superantispyware) are no longer that useful IMO. The best combination I've found it to run Malwarebytes first and then Combofix (in safe mode). Those two in tandem will pretty much get rid of anything other than a few root kits. Make sure if you are looking for Combofix to only get it from Bleeping Computers. All other links are not from the makers of Combofix.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old May 29, 2011, 06:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Nice to read along, and glad to see that I am not the only one doing the (paranoid) complete shut down after an Alt+F4 - or just pull the plug. Loosing half an hour of work is lot easier than half a day of restoring/reinstalling.

With my humble 2 cents of experience; couple years ago now, myself and my girlfriend visited the same website. Her laptop was running a free Avast and mine a free Avira - thinking I did my research on Avira. She barely opened the website and Avast went off, while I was going about the site like it was rainbows and unicorns. So needless to say, I use Avast now and happily - the software has proven its self on numerous occasions too, so it's not just a one-time instance of some (false) detection.

I am fully aware of some of Avast past hiccups and some people might have their own opinions, but that is my 2 cents.
Old May 29, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That's my understanding of how these beasties get on as well. I go one further in order to avoid any task manager confusion by suggesting that folks do an immediate hard power off when they see the initial "you're infected" pop-up.

Actually there are a few users that I just told them to power off as it was easier then trying to explain the whole task manager thing.

Old May 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
Banned
F@H

i went over to a buds tonight..his few dozen machines all had it.

followed up with the above and theyre squeaking along nicely.

looks liek a bunch of them got infected all over but i hear no big fuss on the usual channels....hmmmm
Old May 29, 2011, 09:08 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
AV isn't enough. Need a HIPs program or browse in a sandbox to really combat the crap that's being churned out nowadays. There are so many variants that it's difficult to block every single one. Was it redflagdeals? I know Avira didn't pick up the site redirection due to an ad exploiting the iframe.
QFT...I highly recommend Sandboxie. Anti-virus programs are just too reactive, IMO.

Last edited by francisw19; May 30, 2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Rewording
Old May 30, 2011, 09:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
combo..? hmm

i used the other one,didnt do much.
Combofix would kill the process. I've been using MSI for a while, and have had no problem with it. I do a weekly malwarebytes scan, and it never pulls anything in.