Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2011, 11:12 AM
Banned
F@H

so right now malwarebites is the best paid one? hmmmm
Old May 28, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

25 bucks for lifetime...no brainer. Its active in the background and while NOT 100% effective (nothing is) it is a good second layer of defense. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: forgot a "not"
Old May 28, 2011, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
BUT this is why I always recommend running paid version of MB w/ ANY av program.
I generally do not have any problems, not sure where this little nasty came from. My lappy was off for a month and was fine when shut down. I fired it up last night and the little bugger popped up.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:00 PM
Banned
F@H

i suspect it might have to do with either a website(maybe not this one) or perhaps a windows update thingie?
i think i saw the auto thing going the other day/last night...
Old May 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

AV isn't enough. Need a HIPs program or browse in a sandbox to really combat the crap that's being churned out nowadays. There are so many variants that it's difficult to block every single one. Was it redflagdeals? I know Avira didn't pick up the site redirection due to an ad exploiting the iframe.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
Banned
F@H

well,looks like my good luck with it has run its course hehe.

before? i wouldve not been posting this. had 2-3 things running all the time.

but then i got lazy :D

i got spybot running too,just in case.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm so I'm not the only one? My brother's computer got hit by that too - it totally nuked Microsoft Security Essentials on that machine which I didn't have a decent drive image of. I didn't feel like trying to reinstall the OS so I nuked his hard disk and used it as an excuse to build him a new rig with Windows 7, as it would've taken me the same amount of time to restore his Vista license (darned upgrade version).
That said I only run antivirus software because I only use the AV to tell me when I should restore from a drive image.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

some other options for removing spyware

ad-aware
spybot S&D (search and destroy)
Old May 29, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Seriously?

This isn't a virus its spyware/malware.

I've seen this get around almost EVERY antivirus out there to date.
Just wondering but why do you say this when all of the instances of this I have seen are identified as Trojans by AV software and Spyware stuff? An example would be how it is identified as a trojan in Malwarbytes and AVG and MSE and Kaspersky and a couple others I just can't remember right now.

So I don't get why you always get pissed when people refer to it as a virus when it is a trojan which is classified as a virus.

Oh and the reason it gets past everything is because when the initial pop-up shows itself (usually due to hacked web page) people click on it. Even clicking on it to close it triggers the virus in the background. What we tell our users is that if they get one of those "you're infected" pop-ups then they should shut down the browser by killing the process in task manager. Now I have personally done this on multiple machines and any not one has ended up with a virus. While ones that have just clicked on the "x" to close the pop-up have gotten it.

Now I'm not going to go out and say this is 100% sure fire way to not get hit but it does help. And while we have had a couple users say they didn't do anything, all the rest later admitted to clicking on a pop-up to either close it or just to see what it was about. This was even with users that do know what to look for and not just some "dumb" user. We get bombarded with information while going to multiple sites and it can be easy to just click on the "x" to close some pop-up that showed.

Old May 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Just wondering but why do you say this when all of the instances of this I have seen are identified as Trojans by AV software and Spyware stuff? An example would be how it is identified as a trojan in Malwarbytes and AVG and MSE and Kaspersky and a couple others I just can't remember right now.

So I don't get why you always get pissed when people refer to it as a virus when it is a trojan which is classified as a virus.

Oh and the reason it gets past everything is because when the initial pop-up shows itself (usually due to hacked web page) people click on it. Even clicking on it to close it triggers the virus in the background. What we tell our users is that if they get one of those "you're infected" pop-ups then they should shut down the browser by killing the process in task manager. Now I have personally done this on multiple machines and any not one has ended up with a virus. While ones that have just clicked on the "x" to close the pop-up have gotten it.

Now I'm not going to go out and say this is 100% sure fire way to not get hit but it does help. And while we have had a couple users say they didn't do anything, all the rest later admitted to clicking on a pop-up to either close it or just to see what it was about. This was even with users that do know what to look for and not just some "dumb" user. We get bombarded with information while going to multiple sites and it can be easy to just click on the "x" to close some pop-up that showed.
That's my understanding of how these beasties get on as well. I go one further in order to avoid any task manager confusion by suggesting that folks do an immediate hard power off when they see the initial "you're infected" pop-up.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP