Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2011, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default new xp problem for me

got a weird one here with win xp.
fresh install athalon 4400 + asus A8N-VM will not reboot.
cold boot will load windows but anything like updates or just a reboot and it comes back to a blank screen.
i removed the video card which is the only card an am running onboard right now. all updates have completed now but still no reboot. only waty to get into windows is a full shutdown. sometimes even have to turn the power supply off.

ideas?
Old May 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmmmm thats strange... to my knowledge the registry entries used to boot windows after a reboot/shutdown are identical so it shouldn't be an application startup causing the problem. For the sake of it I would recommend checking to see whether booting in safe mode works, if it does you can conclude its a driver/software related error.
If not the fact that you have to manually turn the power supply off implies that it might have something to do with voltage/current discharge and problems on the hardware level. As to what component might be causing it, I would have no idea. Maybe try running memtest to make sure that ur ram is okay? Although if it were a ram problem you would expect a BSOD/random crashes and not systematic behaviour like you described...

Could always just try reinstalling windows too, thats always heaps of fun :D
Old May 27, 2011, 09:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

oops sorry didnt add in my first test that safe mode is a no go from reboot as well.
i posted from that computer and it has been running flawlessly all day. it is as responsive as you would expect an old athalon 4400 to be. maybe ill just leave it alone for a few days and see if it sorts itself out
Old May 27, 2011, 09:56 PM
Banned
F@H

when you tell it to shut down or restart from a live cd, does it do it? :)
Old May 27, 2011, 10:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ill dig up my ubuntu cd around here and take it to work tomorrow and see what happens