Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2011, 01:58 PM
Top Prospect

Default Weird Lines on Taskbar

What the hell is this?

Imageshack - weirdline.jpg

I tried ending explorer, i tried everything to get rid of it... is it an error?
Old May 21, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Do you see it all the time? Or just then?

If its all the time I'd say screen failure.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:09 PM
Top Prospect

no, in fact they go away when I end explorer.exe and when I restarted it it looked exactly the same as before. A full computer restart fixed it, but it was weird because it happened after a furmark benchmark test.. Im gonna see if it will do it again...
Old May 21, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

they actually look like winamps equalizer , or some other software equalizer that is embedded into the task bar. have you installed or made any changes to sound software lately ?
Old May 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
Banned
F@H

when in doubt,run ubuntu or mint as a live cd. they show up there too?
check cables,reseat card(s) etc.

still no go? rma time.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:33 PM
Top Prospect

It all went away after I did a restart, I just updated my video drivers after this all happened too... I dunno. It might of been that for crossfire it only works when its in fullscreen, but I had furmark in a window so my 1st video card took all of the load. Weird thing is that I could move my mouse over it, its not like it was on the top layer of things. Also ending explorer to make the whole task bar made it go away, and as you can see it looks like its part of the background, but when I starting explorer.exe again it went back to EXACTLY the same way it was before. IDK what it was, I didnt download anything.. I just ran that furmark test. Point is that its gone now.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:37 PM
Top Prospect

You guys dont understand, it wasn't like it was my video cards or anything, because it disappeared when the explorer.exe process was ended, but as soon as I restarted the process it came back onto the screen the exact same way as before. Even changing themes didnt change it, but changing the colour of the task bar changed it too. Thinks of it as being glued to the back of the taskbar layer...
Old May 22, 2011, 08:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well there is an option to run furmark with 2 gpus. not just one, you should have 2 icons to choose from

could have just been a temp. graphical glitch

you updated your drivers, did you reboot after you updated the drivers or ran furmark right after the update ?
Old May 22, 2011, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect

Yup i did exactly that, I ran the test like 3 times after and nothing happened. I dont know if it was neceissarily a graphical error from my VGA's it was like a software error because of what I explained above.
Old May 22, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
An engineer, a mathematician, and a computer programmer are driving down the road when the car they are in gets a flat tire. (...) The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself.
(Miscellaneous Science Jokes - Jokes and Science)

My guess is the Furmark caused a little mess in your GPU memory or driver that caused it to render the "texture" of the taskbar with the artifacts. Window itself sometimes fails to remove tool tips and other "temporary" dialogs, but I don't know if there's any software that uses that as an icon.
Oh well, as long as it doesn't become a regular occurrence