Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Is it possible to get a virus across a network? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/43007-possible-get-virus-across-network.html)

NineLives May 2, 2011 09:53 AM

Is it possible to get a virus across a network?

Im having fun with VM ware on my laptop trying to purposely get a virus to see what my AV can really do, but I am worried that I may infect my main PC which is on the same network. Filesharing is not enabled, but both pc's connect to the same router. Is it possible to get a virus on my main PC if this one has a virus too? I have a very strict firewall on my main PC (Eset Smart Security) on learning mode so only I can choose what gets in...\ please help ty.

enaberif May 2, 2011 09:53 AM

Of course it is. But it depends on the virus and if it can infect machines across a network.

Shadowmeph May 2, 2011 10:19 AM

Usually Virus's spread from file sharing So if you are Sharing a file that has a virus it will get the Virus, can be very tricky they can be in the form of a jpeg in which you open the picture ( jpeg) and then spread onto your machine without you even knowing it and either activate right away or just sit there waiting. there are some virus's out there that are written to shut down and break you AV and punch a whole through your firewall.

NineLives May 2, 2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 511126)
Of course it is. But it depends on the virus and if it can infect machines across a network.

suppose file sharing is off, which it is how would it transfer the virus over? also i ran scans on the VMware machine within the laptop, it found all 24 viruses :) Just testing my AV, so I guess I shouldn't worry as I have the same AV on here + more protection LOL. what are the chances and how the hell does the said virus get to my computer from another computer on the LAN?

NineLives May 2, 2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 511135)
Usually Virus's spread from file sharing So if you are Sharing a file that has a virus it will get the Virus, can be very tricky they can be in the form of a jpeg in which you open the picture ( jpeg) and then spread onto your machine without you even knowing it and either activate right away or just sit there waiting. there are some virus's out there that are written to shut down and break you AV and punch a whole through your firewall.

hmm, i did execute every file on the virtual machine and nothing big happened... im still scanning my PC though. mind you I had AV on the virtual machine, it was just disabled.. ALSO my firewall on this computer (ESET Smart Security) is password protected and on learning mode so I can see what accesses the internet. adn again filesharing is off.

Shadowmeph May 2, 2011 10:48 AM

People that I know that play around with Virus's do so on an older machine with the Internet unplugged

jay51 May 2, 2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 511147)
People that I know that play around with Virus's do so on an older machine with the Internet unplugged

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Perineum May 2, 2011 11:56 AM

Conficker is an example of a very well written network aware virus. The guy who wrote it actually gets my respect for how virulent it is. It will break into network shares that come default on Windows installs, etc

However, in your case I think you're probably perfectly fine on your main computer. It sounds like you're taking enough steps and being careful enough.

Lpfan4ever May 2, 2011 12:37 PM

Very possible. And I agree, conficker is a bastard.

enaberif May 2, 2011 01:11 PM

Blaster worm is probably one of the worst network ones that had spread horribly!

Everyone remember.. "Your computer will now shut down in 60 seconds" the second you plugged into the internet!