Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Photoshop and LightRoom alternatives

I am considering switching to ubuntu and i need some direction i have used linux in the past but usually went back to windows due to software availability in linux. For office i would use openoffice (i have used it before and liked it)

Office - openoffice
Email - Evolution (or something comparable with a calender)
Photoshop - ???
Lightroom - ???
Messenger App - Pidgin or ???

Currently i do game on my windows machine however my life is getting busy with more important things and will need to take a back burner. (buying a home, Niece and Nephew :) )

I am considering for a distro either Ubuntu 11.04 x64 or centos 5.3 x64. here is the hardware that i have.

Intel Core i-7 950
6GB DDR 3
E-VGA Geforce GTX 560 TI
Onboard Sound
1x 40GB SSD
3x 2TB WD Green
LG BDRW/DVDRW
X58 Sabertooth Board
Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 HD

Old April 29, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Linux Mint or Ubuntu would be your best bet.. But unfortunately there isn't any software at all like Photoshop or Lightroom for Linux for obvious reasons.

For email and calendar you can use Thunderbird and Sunbird both made by the Mozilla team and for MSN you have a few choices but I find aMSN the best
Old April 29, 2011, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i took a look and it seems that Photoshop will work rather well through wine :). Don't care to much about light room but ps was a must.

Old April 29, 2011, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are actually quite a few freeware "replacements" for Photoshop, GIMP being the most commonly recommend. Not as many for Lightroom though, but I hear good things about Digikam. You might like it, you might not. But hey, it's free and trying them won't hurt.

If you find that you need to stick with Adobe software, most of it will work in Linux through WINE. However there are sometimes issues, but there is some good documentation on their website/wiki.
Old April 29, 2011, 03:38 PM
Top Prospect

+1 for GIMP if you can't get PS going. It's works great for me and is well supported.
Old April 30, 2011, 08:13 AM
Allstar

You might want to take a look at Pinguy OS, it's based on Ubuntu and runs beautifully. I'm actually really liking this distro.

Pinguy OS

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old April 30, 2011, 12:06 PM
Banned

Good choices suggested so far.

Office - LibreOffice
Email - Mozilla Thunderbird
Photoshop - GIMP
Messenger - Pidgin, aMSN, Empathy

Comparison of image viewers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One idea is to stick to a distro on Distrowatch to start with since it might be helpful when running into issues or problems. It might be easier to find info via Google search or searching on the respective distro's support forum. Of course, you can ask here, too, but when you want a quick answer, sometimes a search might find it. After you gain experience, you can then try others. Just a suggestion, though.