Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2011, 10:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

Hell if hes only using Ubuntu for browsing, just run it in a virtual machine, you really don't need much resource wise to have a browser only environment. I ran Ubuntu for 3 years solid as my primary environment due to development reasons and never had security issues, however the second I got back into gaming....had to move back to Windows. I have 11.04 B2 on a virtual machine right now, and like many versions from 6.0+, it's stable as hell before it reaches beta phase. As sswilson says, if he has no idea what he's doing, its better to set it up on a separate drive so he doesn't end up going "ZOMG WTF happened to Windows!!!!!"
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old April 24, 2011, 04:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i f he goes to LinuxQuestions.org they can walk him( or her_ through how to build the drivers, I have had to do this for some of my drivers before. but ubuntu most likely has the drivers needed
Old April 24, 2011, 04:59 AM
Banned
F@H

best thing about linux distros is the need,or lack of,using a hdd...live cd ftw!

no cookies,files,etc stored if you worry about your bank acct or such
Old April 24, 2011, 05:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks guys .I will wait for the new version.just 4days for the same
Old April 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
Hell if hes only using Ubuntu for browsing, just run it in a virtual machine, you really don't need much resource wise to have a browser only environment. I ran Ubuntu for 3 years solid as my primary environment due to development reasons and never had security issues, however the second I got back into gaming....had to move back to Windows. I have 11.04 B2 on a virtual machine right now, and like many versions from 6.0+, it's stable as hell before it reaches beta phase. As sswilson says, if he has no idea what he's doing, its better to set it up on a separate drive so he doesn't end up going "ZOMG WTF happened to Windows!!!!!"
got the new version .my cousin has only one hdd.
can I do a fresh install like this?
ubuntu in c drive
&
win7 in d drive?
Old April 29, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you sure can
Old April 30, 2011, 12:53 AM
Banned

Why not save up $30 and get another HDD so they're on separate drives? It is easier especially for a beginner in Linux.

The main problem when it's all on one drive is the boot manager and the fact Windows doesn't like another OS on the drive. Sometimes the MBR gets screwed up but with some reading and diagnosing, it's not a big deal to solve.

I recommend having another computer with internet handy when installing.

Not sure why everyone picks Ubuntu though but I guess it has the best marketing. :)

For gaming, it's probably best to dual boot or use separate drives if you're going to play native Windows games. You either need Wine for that or to boot into Windows.

Lastly, make sure you save all your data from your Windows system onto another drive just in case. Borrow one or save priority data onto a stick or storage drive.