Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Win7 Home to PRO Upgrade Q&A

I've got a couple of pc's, all of which came with pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium (I hate preinstalled/want the OEM Disc) and I'm going to be upgrading to Windows 7 Pro.(on one PC to use as a server).

I've never done this before and I'm curious as to what to expect, how/will it affect anything other that my current OS?

Is there anything I should be aware off before I do this?

Last edited by The Quicken; April 20, 2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: clarity
Old April 19, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Is there a reason you need Pro? The only real reason you'd need it is to join a domain.
Old April 19, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

so your saying that you have w7 pro on new machine and want to load rest of home machines?

your only allowed one install per COA , if older hardware may have to bring it up to current hardware for older stuff not supported by w7
Old April 20, 2011, 01:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If there was something that Pro offered that you needed, you'd know what that something was. Honestly, I'd just do fresh Win 7 Home installs using a retail disc image and the OEM keys.
Old April 20, 2011, 01:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
If there was something that Pro offered that you needed, you'd know what that something was. Honestly, I'd just do fresh Win 7 Home installs using a retail disc image and the OEM keys.

TY (networking, networking, networking)
Old April 20, 2011, 01:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Is there a reason you need Pro? The only real reason you'd need it is to join a domain.
Bingo! lol

Want to set up a server. (on one PC)
Old April 20, 2011, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
Bingo! lol

A server doesn't need to be part of a domain. You can setup a computer in a network to act as a server.

A real server will be something that will use Active Directory and such and for home use I personally think that is a bit overkill.
Old April 20, 2011, 08:04 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
Bingo! lol

even with pro you will not have a domain , a domain need a Domain Controler, and it's only on a server you can install it. If you want a server for your house, use Windows Home Server.
Old April 20, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

(I am not totally sure with Windows 7 Home Premium ) but if you are basically just going to have one PC to store things on so that the other PCs can have access to it as far as I know I don't think that you need to upgrade any of them, just as long as you set up the networking part with right clicking on what ever you want the PC or PCs to have access with.
Now if you can't do it with Windows 7 Home Premium I think that you just need to click on the Upgrade windows feature and put in the new serial key which should then download the appropriate upgrades and updates
Old April 20, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
(I am not totally sure with Windows 7 Home Premium ) but if you are basically just going to have one PC to store things on so that the other PCs can have access to it as far as I know I don't think that you need to upgrade any of them, just as long as you set up the networking part with right clicking on what ever you want the PC or PCs to have access with.
Now if you can't do it with Windows 7 Home Premium I think that you just need to click on the Upgrade windows feature and put in the new serial key which should then download the appropriate upgrades and updates
The term "server" can mean so many things.. And most times if someone needs to join a "domain" they need to setup active directory which leads to a whole other ball park of things to take care.

Personally I think they are needing a server.. but not to the degree of an ACTUAL server