Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2011, 07:05 PM
Allstar

Default SBS 2011 essentials

I just install "Windows Small Business Server Essentials", they may have call it Server for the dummies...

So simple to use, they have the same "Windows Home Server" type of dashboard, MS finally understand peoples who will want something easy like Home Server for their business, and they increase the users connections from 10 to 25.

Even the Active directory is setup automatically, this is not good news for IT, as you donít need IT to manage it, well, we will see.

The Client connect for the first time in the same way as Home Server, the installation will add the client to the backup ( yes the SBS backup clients PC too)

Definitively a good product that close the gap between Home Server and Windows 2008r2 serverís family.

Last edited by botat29; April 17, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yeah, the dashboard was with 2008 versions too. Makes things "easier" for admins or IT types without a lot of server knowledge to look after the server.

There are three versions i'm aware of, the essentials, standard and some 'premium' version.

I didn't think the essentials was available yet.. i'm assuming technet, or some "other" method of acquiring it?

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old May 1, 2011, 06:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Supports Quad Sockets, unlimited cores :)

Have an A-1 day!
Old May 18, 2011, 09:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
Supports Quad Sockets, unlimited cores :)
Essentials = 2 sockets, grumble grumble
Standard = 4 sockets
3hrs wasted

Have an A-1 day!
Old May 19, 2011, 06:48 AM
Allstar

Can you honestly tell me why you would need a crippled exchange on a new version of home server for all purposes in a 4 socket server? even if you are a small business that needs computational power for a special app, your not going to be putting it on your DC. MS is protecting their product line, at the same time no IT pro is going to suggest putting this with a power hungry app. First time your exchange store has a crap and you tell them they can't use GP Dynamics while you fix exchange they will start to wonder about your competence.

I think 2 sockets of any modern server CPU is more then enough for this little beast...just my 2 cents :-)
Old May 19, 2011, 09:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

BlueByte: ...thats why the simpler interfaces of the SBS series still won't replace skilled IT.

Microsoft doesn't have a SBS Wizard for proper IT planning, implementation, migration and policies.

It is a low cost alternative for companies with users under 75 who want features like Exchange, Sharepoint, remote web workplace, routing and remote access, Active Directory services, etc etc.

Speaking of which the RWW on SBS 2011 is far improved over 2008.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
Allstar

Oh I understand that, I was just wondering why 4DoorGTZ thought it was a waste for only two sockets. As a side note as mentioned this is even more watered down to 25 users vs the 75 you can put on standard SBS.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

some members talk about exchange in this tread, just to make sure ; exchange and SQL are not include with sbs 2011 essential

Old May 20, 2011, 01:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

lol, I was just looking for some flavor of Windows to utilize my new toy, a dedicated F@H rig. Win7 Ultimate is only good up to 2 sockets, Saw that Windows Server 2008 supported 4 sockets, saw SBS 2011 was kinda an updated version of 2008.

In no way was this gonna be a Server, just wanted to play in windows with 48cores, playing in Linux for now.

Have an A-1 day!