Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I never used the search in windows, I have always used "everything" Download Everything
it is allot faster and works great for me
edit
I just remembered something, there is a setting in folder options that sometimes gets missed its called "hide extentions of non file types" . I have no idea why anyone would want that setting but on my pc it somehow was turned on and I couldn't find allot of things thats when I downloaded everything and found all of these hidden files and then discovered that the setting "hide extentions" was on.
Yeah I'm aware of the hide extensions thing, they've done that since XP, haven't they? And I agree I don't know what possible use it would serve. I always get rid of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
can you search for just a filename? i.e. "00251"
Nope. It didn't work with just entering 00251 either.
Attached Images

EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
My experience with Windows 7 and its search has been the opposite of yours.
To be fair it could be the lower tech I'm using, I'm still running the computer in my sig. Win7 seems to run fine on my wife's computer but it's an i5. Win7 has always been sluggish and a little buggy on this rig (and yes I've gotten all the newest drivers). I'm not a big fan of Vista either but it ran a lot faster and was more stable than Win7. XP was even better but some of the software I was using stopped supporting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
You can rebuild the index in the advanced section of Indexing Options.
I've gotten to the indexing menu and can see that this location is indexed but I can't access the advanced menu. I'll have to see what that's all about. I did the "find and fix problems with windows search" thing to and it did it's little thing and came back with no solutions.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 23, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

no I mean without the extension, just 00251. are the files hidden? O.o
Old March 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Something is definitely wrong with your Index.

I just did a quick search for *.mkv on my root drive and it found all the various MKV's I have on there.

Control Panel\Indexing Options\Advanced (without clicking any locations) and then hit Rebuild. It'll probably take quite a few hours though. Also make sure the folder/drive that you want to search is listed in the locations, otherwise add it. Maybe also check the File Extensions tab, perhaps mlps isn't in there.
Old March 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Something is definitely wrong with your Index.

I just did a quick search for *.mkv on my root drive and it found all the various MKV's I have on there.

Control Panel\Indexing Options\Advanced (without clicking any locations) and then hit Rebuild. It'll probably take quite a few hours though. Also make sure the folder/drive that you want to search is listed in the locations, otherwise add it. Maybe also check the File Extensions tab, perhaps mlps isn't in there.
That is my thought too, I have indexing disabled on my ssd but active on all my other drives and would have difficulty finding anything using the start/search function on my ssd but anything on the hdd is found just fine.
That hardware should be more than able to handle 7, even my TK-57 and 3800x2 handle 7 just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 23, 2011, 09:25 PM
Banned
F@H

disable indexing, and have a my computer always open, type whatever youre looking for up there right top corner.