Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Alternative to SPlayer

Hi guys,

Recently I've been using a media player called SPlayer to watch my tv shows. It's a nifty little program that not only plays my video files pretty well but most importantly it downloads + mounts subtitles automatically. However, while it works very well with my desktop computer, it doesn't seem to want to play nice with my mom's HP tablet.

A few days after installing this program on my mom's tablet and she started watching her shows using it, her video screen began to experience green/blue snow and horizontal tearing. It soon worsened and spread to her entire desktop, regardless of whether the player is running or not. Thinking that it was a virus, I reformatted her tablet and sure enough, the video anomalies went away immediately. It soon came back, however.

A few days after reformatting and she started watching the videos using the same program, the glitches came back again. I tried another reformat and the problem went away, only to return a few days after that. I then began to suspect the SPlayer program and uninstalled it completely and did a registry clean. Sure enough, the problem disappeared this time without a reformat. I'm almost tempted to try this SPlayer on my own tablet, but it's already been reformatted & updated since I'm preparing to sell it.

Therefore, I'm now looking for an alternative to this SPlayer. I've looked at VLC player, but it doesn't download subtitles automatically, and it doesn't look quite as nice as SPlayer. Are there better alternatives out there?

Thanks!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock