Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
Rookie

Default Windows 7 upgrade problem

Alright, so I had Vista, then when 7 came out, I got the upgrade version.

Now I just got an SSD, so I tried installing a fresh copy of 7 on it, but when I tried to activate it, it said I only have an upgrade version and I need to install my previous version of windows before and then upgrade to 7.

So I said no problem, I'll install my vista and reinstall 7 over it.

The problem is, I found my vista DVD and it's completely scratched and it won't install at all...

So I called microsoft thinking maybe if I gave them my Vista product key, they could be kind enough to unlock my 7 product key or something. Well no, they tell me I have to buy a brand new windows 7

Is there any other way ? I've tried to unscratch my DVD and it didn't work
This is retarded as I have to reinstall my OS every 30 days....
Old March 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What kind of license do you have on your original legit Vista OS? If you still have a legit key, all you need to do is find somebody who's got the same version and get him/her to run you off a backup copy of the disk. If you want to go through the "official" channels, you should also be able to buy replacement media from MS to use your legit key on.

There are also ways to get a different version of Vista to recognise your key (assuming it's legit), but you'll have to google that one yourself as it's getting a bit too close to the line WRT the EULA for a discussion here.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 13, 2011, 09:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you use your upgrade disc to install 7 without a product key, then once it's booted up, run the disc again selecting upgrade this time around. Enter your product key and it should activate fine.

It's a really silly work-around, but apparently it works.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

you should be able to call in with your legit vista key, I've done it a few times.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wonder if you could download windows 7 ( a legit copy) it isn't against the law to download windows 7 and install it then try and use the update key to activate it. because if I remember correctly the download versions of windows 7 is all the versions of windows 7 and the key that is used to activate the windows 7 activates the version.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:35 AM
MVP

I would try phoning microsoft again, you will probably get a different person. During your phone call, make it seem like all you want to do is get Vista working again. Don't even talk about Windows 7. You own Vista, you need to get it working. They might be able to send you a disk, or even provide you with a download link when you give them your key. Once you have that, go from there.

I have my own question that I didn't really want to make a new thread for, so if it is cool I will ask it here. Almost every time I see people suggesting builds on websites like this one, it almost always involves an OEM copy of windows 7. Obviously this is to save money but what I don't understand is what happens when its upgrade time. The OEM license is tied to the motherboard right? If you decide you want to upgrade to Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge and have an OEM copy of windows 7, are you SOL or how does that work?
Old March 13, 2011, 10:44 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply guys and thanks for the pm !
I called again and they told me they had a department for "replacement parts" which could sell me a Vista DVD. But the department is only open on weekdays.
I don't really feel like paying to get a silly DVD shipped to me as I'm sure the price will be too high.

My Vista is 100% legit of course, it's a OEM DVD that I bought when I originally built my pc...

I will try the suggestions I got here and let you know =)

Thanks

by the way, if I find a friend who has an OEM vista dvd, would it work ? or is the product key linked to the dvd itself ?
Old March 13, 2011, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouter View Post
Thanks for the reply guys and thanks for the pm !
I called again and they told me they had a department for "replacement parts" which could sell me a Vista DVD. But the department is only open on weekdays.
I don't really feel like paying to get a silly DVD shipped to me as I'm sure the price will be too high.

My Vista is 100% legit of course, it's a OEM DVD that I bought when I originally built my pc...

I will try the suggestions I got here and let you know =)

Thanks

by the way, if I find a friend who has an OEM vista dvd, would it work ? or is the product key linked to the dvd itself ?
The key is only tied to the "type" of license, so if you can find somebody with the same OEM DVD your key will work fine on either his/her original disk, or on a copy made from an ISO of that disk.

This (IMO) is one of those things that software manufacturers should be offering to their customers, especially in the case where there is a fairly lengthy (and verifyable) copyright protection key.... If you've got a legit key you can quote to a CS rep, there should be no reason why the system isn't set up for the CS rep to email you a temp link to a legit ISO of the appropriate disk.

I understand why it wouldn't be a good idea to set it up for online verification ("dictionary" style crack attacks looking for legit numbers), but there's no reason it couldn't work for a live CS rep.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 13, 2011, 12:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
If you use your upgrade disc to install 7 without a product key, then once it's booted up, run the disc again selecting upgrade this time around. Enter your product key and it should activate fine.

It's a really silly work-around, but apparently it works.
We have a winner !!!!
I just inserted the 7 DVD in, clicked install upgrade from an old windows version

And at the end when it asked me for the product key, it worked !!!!

Thanks !
Old March 14, 2011, 03:56 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the comments and help you provided, everyone. Glad it worked out for you, clouter!

--
For contests, news, tips, tricks and more, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter