Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2008, 12:42 AM
Rookie

Default What do you think of Vista?

If you want to have a discussion on Vista (SP1, 32 bit vs 64 bit, app compatability, etc.) sign up for the VANTUG meeting in the evening of Jan 22nd at Sport BC (1367 W Broadway). For more details go to the home page of the VANTUG website (www-vantug-com)

Charlie Russel (Microsoft MVP) will be presenting prior to a forum discussion about Vista. Dana Epp (Microsoft Security MVP) will also be there.

Graham Jones
President, VANTUG
Old January 19, 2008, 01:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Vista? Pile of poo.

Thanks.
Old January 19, 2008, 02:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hmmm....If they hand out free Vista copies....I think I need the 64-bit version soon....then I might consider coming to BC for that.....LOL

And Enaberif? i'm really sorry Vista didn't work out for you! LOL
Old January 19, 2008, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Based on what enerberif? BTW I am not trying to sell it. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly by sharing experience and views. Nothing is all bad!
Old January 19, 2008, 02:29 PM
MVP
F@H

well it is poo.. poo is to good of a word to describe it... it is lower than windows me... slow, memory hog.. rip off of mac.. bad hardware issues... privacy issues... every try to reload it on another hard drive.. god i can go all day.

Old January 19, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Naw..."poo" isn't the right word for it....whats the term when worms eat poo and then poo, the poo out?..."refried poo" maybe...what ever the term THATS what Vista is.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2008, 03:45 PM
MVP

Better than XP, at least.

I just wish they'd been faster to fix issues like the slow file copying.
Old March 4, 2008, 10:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'll weigh in here to revive this thread. I finished my latest build last week. I made the mistake of getting a OEM version of Vista Home Premium thinking(mistakenly) that i could upgrade to 64 bit later as I have 4g of RAM. I decided to install it anyway and I must say I sympathise with all the Vista slaggin' that goes on

I have never had so many opportunities to use Safe-mode and System re-store since Win3.11 amd ME

There seems to be many chances to disrupt and disable core OS features every time some hardware or driver is installed. After a few days of tweaking I finally have it running OK, I hope,

Nevertheless it was a, at times, frustrating experience. Vista buyers beware:rtfm:

Anyway I am enjoying my Q6600 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Gigabyte P35DS3R, TRU120E, XFX8800GTX,WD Raptor, 4G OCZ Platinum, XFi Fatal1ty SC, P182B system.
Thanks to you all for discussions on so many topics that I was able to learn from, I just wish I had read that OEM vs Retail Vista upgrade info so that I would have known what version to buy noobie error on my part.

Last edited by SimGamer; March 4, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old March 4, 2008, 11:28 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

After using Vista for approx 8 months, I have gone back to XP. Reasons:

- Having to call india to reactivate windows every time I make a hardware change.
- Huge resource hog
- UAC
- Gaming performance, lack of.
- General sluggishness
- 64 bit version is buggy as hell
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old March 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I have been using Vista Ult. 32 for less than a week on my new laptop. I reformatted right away and have been tweaking it for days. UAC is ridiculous. I found tweakuac, an app that runs UAC in "quiet mode" (no annoying pop ups but UAC is still enabled). The reason I did this is because I have read of people having issues with turning UAC off and some apps not installing correctly. Another awesome move by MS to protect me from myself? o.O

From my point of view Vista is doable (so far) with lots of tweaking. From an average user perspective I would not be surprised if it turns most people off of computers completely, or at least Windows computers. Having worked on Macs and PCs for many years I can safely say OSX is leap-years ahead of Vista in regards to "out of the box" usability.

Vista allows me to map my special folders (My Docs etc..) to my D: drive but I have had some issues with the process; like Vista creating copies of folders or hiding folders . Very weird buggy/quirky stuff.

I am having network issues with Vista too. It could be a result of my tweaking though I am not sure. In all honesty networking is still a big hazy area to me. I can get my XP computers to see the Vista computer and move files... but the Vista computer cannot see anything on my home network?

I have yet to do any gaming or benches on my laptop but I'll get there eventually. Just been busy and of course sharing it with the wife ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE