Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit. Been using it about 2 months now, and I actually don't mind it. I mean, yes, I disabled all the fancy effects and visual themes....but it seems to be working fine for me. There are some apps which don;t work though, and it's pretty annoying. ATItool, nTune, Speedfan, and NVMonitor causes BSOD's, so I have no way of overclocking my Vidcard....

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old March 27, 2008, 02:44 PM
Top Prospect

I tried vista ultimate 32bit on the rig in my signature last year and I had too many driver issues and couldn't use my satellite tuner. so i went back to xp pro. with all the guys modding vista drivers these days I can probably get it working if I try..

I just put vista ultimate 32bit on my turion TL-50 laptop and I love it. Sure you have to tinker with drivers until everything works good but who dosn't love tinkering lol. For some reason UAC blocks Notebook Hardware Control at startup so i disabled uac.

I am impressed by the wifi connection managment, On winxp I used wifi hopper but with vista I am happy with the built on connection manager.
Buffalo Firestix FSX800D2C-K2G 2X1GB PC2-6400 CL5
OCZ XTC Active Memory Cooler
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA2
MCE Wireless Keyboard / Remote
Logitech X-530 Speakers
Swiftech H20-220 Water kit
Swiftech MCW30 NB Cooling
OCZ PowerStream 600W
Old March 27, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somed00d View Post

I am impressed by the wifi connection managment, On winxp I used wifi hopper but with vista I am happy with the built on connection manager.
Ya I like this feature too. I never did wifi on XP so I can't compare but the wifi manager on Vista is actually really smooth. Good point

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 27, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit. Been using it about 2 months now, and I actually don't mind it. I mean, yes, I disabled all the fancy effects and visual themes....but it seems to be working fine for me. There are some apps which don;t work though, and it's pretty annoying. ATItool, nTune, Speedfan, and NVMonitor causes BSOD's, so I have no way of overclocking my Vidcard....
Hmmm, might be something with 64? On my laptop I have Vista 32... I have nTune and NV Monitor and they work flawlessly. Yes you can OC a gfx card on a laptop ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 27, 2008, 05:07 PM
Top Prospect

I have ATITool working fine on Vista 32. So it could be compatibility with Vista 64. I haven't tried the other programs.
Old March 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

well as I posted after many different issues that just didn't seem to be resolving themselves I chucked Vista on both my pc's and now have WinXPpro SP3
I ran Vista for a year and honestly cant imagine anything that would make me return to it
Old March 29, 2008, 06:12 PM
Allstar

It's been smooth sailing for me since the summer of '07 for Vista and I've just about converted all my computers over to Vista now. The first several months weren't very smooth w/ Nvidia's drivers sucking ass on top of random program crashes; I had XP installed on it as well, so it wasn't a huge deal as I just mostly used XP during that time, anyways.

Vista has a ton of useful features that I sorely miss whenever I use an XP computer. Yes, you can get the same functionality out of XP using a bunch of 3rd party apps, but I'd prefer not to install a bunch of crap to do so (the same reason I use Opera instead of Firefox + a bunch of add-ons).

Using Vista Ultimate x86 on gaming computer and iMac, Home Premium x86 on laptop, will probably install Home Premium on media center computer at some point this year. I'm building a new gaming computer in April if everything goes as planned and I'll probably be moving to Vista Ultimate x64 w/ 8 GB of RAM.
Old March 29, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Burn My Vista

thats what I think of vista.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 29, 2008, 10:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've been running Vista Ultimate X64 for quite some time now and i haven't had any problems with it yet.

The only problem i encountered at first was having games using the HL2 engine crash randomly, but than i found there was a Vista update i missed and it fixed it.

I didn't like Vista at all when it first came out, but now it doesn't bother me one bit.
Old March 31, 2008, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post
I didn't like Vista at all when it first came out, but now it doesn't bother me one bit.
That's (hopefully) how some of these other people will think in a year or so.