Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Well I have been using Vista Ult. 32 for less than a week on my new laptop. I reformatted right away and have been tweaking it for days. UAC is ridiculous. I found tweakuac, an app that runs UAC in "quiet mode" (no annoying pop ups but UAC is still enabled). The reason I did this is because I have read of people having issues with turning UAC off and some apps not installing correctly. Another awesome move by MS to protect me from myself? o.O

From my point of view Vista is doable (so far) with lots of tweaking. From an average user perspective I would not be surprised if it turns most people off of computers completely, or at least Windows computers. Having worked on Macs and PCs for many years I can safely say OSX is leap-years ahead of Vista in regards to "out of the box" usability.

Vista allows me to map my special folders (My Docs etc..) to my D: drive but I have had some issues with the process; like Vista creating copies of folders or hiding folders . Very weird buggy/quirky stuff.

I am having network issues with Vista too. It could be a result of my tweaking though I am not sure. In all honesty networking is still a big hazy area to me. I can get my XP computers to see the Vista computer and move files... but the Vista computer cannot see anything on my home network?

I have yet to do any gaming or benches on my laptop but I'll get there eventually. Just been busy and of course sharing it with the wife ;)
I don't use Vista I tried it and hated it used windows XP which is like night and day compaired to windows then I went to Server 2003, Now I am a Linux user and sometimes game on windows. I will never use Vista again it is a piece of Junk in my eyes I haven't heard anything of anygood from that os oops ok one thing it is eye candy Like taking out a very nice looking lady that is Bitchy,very argumentative and dumb as a stump.
Old March 4, 2008, 02:15 PM
MVP

Quote:
The reason I did this is because I have read of people having issues with turning UAC off and some apps not installing correctly.
Something not right there... UAC is the first thing I disable on all my installs of Vista, and I haven't any problems with installations of anything.

For XP computers to show up in the graphical network map for Vista, you need to install this:

Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)
Old March 4, 2008, 04:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Something not right there... UAC is the first thing I disable on all my installs of Vista, and I haven't any problems with installations of anything.

For XP computers to show up in the graphical network map for Vista, you need to install this:

Hey Mars, Did you ever have Control Panel not show or just flash briefly after UAC was disabled? This happened to me. Installing various drivers for my hardware also knocked out Control Panel.
Old March 4, 2008, 04:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I don't use Vista I tried it and hated it used windows XP which is like night and day compaired to windows then I went to Server 2003, Now I am a Linux user and sometimes game on windows. I will never use Vista again it is a piece of Junk in my eyes I haven't heard anything of anygood from that os oops ok one thing it is eye candy Like taking out a very nice looking lady that is Bitchy,very argumentative and dumb as a stump.
I'm dating that bitch now
Old March 4, 2008, 06:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimGamer View Post
Hey Mars, Did you ever have Control Panel not show or just flash briefly after UAC was disabled? This happened to me. Installing various drivers for my hardware also knocked out Control Panel.
Did you try disabling services? In Vista, disabling the Software Licensing Service screws the control panel, among other things.
Old March 4, 2008, 06:49 PM
MVP
F@H

I've actually had a good vista experience. First I dual-booted for awhile between x64 and vista ultimate 64. After going back and forth enough times I realized the gaming performance was the same, except in Vista I have DX10 and a nicer desktop, and for me that's enough. On my new build I went 100% vista, and I really don't regret it. At first there was a few issues and you start with about 300 services running but now I am down to about 20 services which is much more reasonable. I also disabled superfetch because it was always trying to do its thing when I was trying to benchmark or game.

Now we learn that crossfireX is Vista-only, that really doesnt leave much of a choice anymore! Its fairly obvious that by sticking to XP you are missing out on the newest technologies. Whether that is a bad thing or a good thing, is to be debated ;)
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old March 4, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't know, but I really don't find UAC all that much of a pain. So you have to click a few extra boxes. Slows you down for 1/2 second maybe even a whole second. What's the problem? Vista 64 here with no problems. In fact, I hardly ever disable any services or processes since it doesn't help at all in anything except for that last .01 in a SuperPI score. I have 65+ processes running at any given time and everything works smooth as butter on this thing.
Old March 4, 2008, 06:55 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I don't know, but I really don't find UAC all that much of a pain. So you have to click a few extra boxes. Slows you down for 1/2 second maybe even a whole second. What's the problem? Vista 64 here with no problems. In fact, I hardly ever disable any services or processes since it doesn't help at all in anything except for that last .01 in a SuperPI score. I have 65+ processes running at any given time and everything works smooth as butter on this thing.
Yeah, same here, I used to be big on disabling every unneeded service, but since realized that it makes almost no difference in the vast majority of situations.

Although 65 processes seems like a lot... I'm only at 55 right now, and I've got about 20 programs open.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

I have a friend that says disabling UAC screwed up his CS3 install. I cannot say it was or wasn't but that was my reasoning. Have you installed Adobe apps on your Vista machines?

I DL'd that Windows fix. I can see my XP computer now but when I try to login to my XP machine from the Vista machine, it doesn't like my login & password. I know this is a dumb question but do I login using my XP machine login or do I create an acct. for the Vista machine on the XP machine. If so how? Going XP --> Vista is no problem? Arrgh I wish I had more of a grasp on networking :(

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 4, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I have a friend that says disabling UAC screwed up his CS3 install. I cannot say it was or wasn't but that was my reasoning. Have you installed Adobe apps on your Vista machines?

I DL'd that Windows fix. I can see my XP computer now but when I try to login to my XP machine from the Vista machine, it doesn't like my login & password. I know this is a dumb question but do I login using my XP machine login or do I create an acct. for the Vista machine on the XP machine. If so how? Going XP --> Vista is no problem? Arrgh I wish I had more of a grasp on networking :(
For what you are wanting to do you need to create the accounts on the machines separately and password them.