Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2011, 07:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Can you move a recovery partition onto a new hard drive?

Someone gave me a Toshiba laptop that has a failed hard drive to fix for them. They will need a new hard drive, but they don't have an actual Windows CD and just have a recovery CD and a recovery partition on the hard drive. The Windows Key on the bottom of the laptop is for Windows Vista Home Premium. I've tried testing the key with retail and OEM discs but neither would accept the key. I did the tests with an older small hard drive.

Is it possible to copy over the recovery partition to a new hard drive and use a recovery disc? I would test it but the hard drive I have is too small. I browsed the old failed hard drive and the recovery partition isn't part of the corrupt disc. I tried to call Toshiba but since the laptop is out of warranty they wouldn't talk to me without a VISA number.

Anyone know of a way past this?
Old March 8, 2011, 08:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If done properly, i dont see why not. The hardware is the same, except the drive. Just use some reputable imaging/cloning software. Acronis or something.
Old April 5, 2011, 10:30 AM
Rookie

Hi. Any progress on this? I have a similar issue and would like to know if you have made it anywhere with your move. Thanks!