Fedora 0 0%
Gentoo 2 10.00%
Other 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2011, 05:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

OpenWRT is the only one I work with for now... else than that I'm sticking to the good old *BSD distros.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Solid post Borg!

I've been using Ubuntu for a while myself, since 7.04, and i've grown quite fond of its simplicity. I was off for reading week last week and I had a chance to finally reformat my school/work laptop. I've always wanted to try Debian and since 6.0 just came out a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give it a try. I....... was unimpressed, but maybe I was just impatient. It took forever to get wireless working, seeing as Debian now only includes "FREE" repositories/libraries. I also wasn't a big fan of KDE so I decided to install Gnome. Things got better but I ended up just getting fed up after a couple days with minor nuisances. I installed Linux Mint 10 and I can say truthfully that I will not be switching anytime soon.
Ha, I don't think it was that good but thanks.

I'm mostly familiar with Debian/Ubuntu but really, I think any Linux choice is good except maybe Mandriva but that's a long story. :) Seriously, any is good since you get familiar with the basics and you can switch around as you get more experienced.

I like Debian because there's so many derivatives and it's no sweat to switch to Ubuntu and back.

The RPM-based distros have a bit more variance, I think. I've used Fedora but none of the other RPM-based distros except for booting up OpenSUSE with live media.

I recommended Mint because they have Ubuntu and Debian versions. I suggest to the OP to boot up a bunch of them via live media and the distros use various desktop environments as default so one can get an idea whether you like KDE, Gnome, XFCE etc. I'm not recommending one of those as each has its adv/disadv. but I think the main ones are getting bloated and undergoing a lot of changes which I am not too fond of. Well, not yet.

My last recommendation for now is to try and have an extra computer handy for googling when you run into trouble and believe me, you (probably) will!

Keywork, I think if you use Debian that you get used to it and then add in the testing or sid repository to obtain more up to date software. Contrary to some alarmists, it is not too bad as long as one is careful and keeps track of stuff. Yes, the strict adherence to open source/free software means you need to know which repositories to enable and add them manually but it isn't too bad when you become familiar with the process. If you try again, write up an instruction list that you can follow (aka a guide) so re-installs become easy (easier?) and familiar. Debian and debian-drived/based distros are more smooth running than Ubuntu, imho.

P.S. the Graphics topic is pretty conversial in the Linux world but the OP has a Nvidia gpu so with laptops, if you already have the laptop, you have no choice but to deal with what is in there. :) Each has its pros and cons.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anyway a 7150 is such a crap that it can't even run diablo 2 100% without lag XD

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 7, 2011, 07:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I like ubuntu for everyday use and slackware.. for "not everyday use" -.-

I recently tried the ubuntu notebook edition, it is quite nice. very nice... you can choose which GUI you want to start when opening your session, either gnome or the notebook GUI. it still isn't perfect, but I really like it.
Old March 8, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok so after 1 day of pool think I will try another distro of ubuntu. The last one I tryed wasn't working on my lappy ( giving some wierd image so unable to install ). If it's still failing I'll dig the thread to try another version.

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 8, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

this poll is near useless, as "other" is winning.

wtf? :P

I'm tossing in my vote for Ubuntu, but for newer users, Mint is alot nicer/friendlier I've been finding.
Old March 8, 2011, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

for me it depends on the application.

for a file server i prefer either

Freenas (BSD Based) or OpenIndiana (Open Solaris)

For a desktop

Ubuntu

For Server

CentOS

Old March 8, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
this poll is near useless, as "other" is winning.

wtf? :P

I'm tossing in my vote for Ubuntu, but for newer users, Mint is alot nicer/friendlier I've been finding.
Other win but other is divided with many distro and no other have as much vote as Ubuntu.

Martin_metal_88

Old March 8, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

that's why I said "near" ;)

burraye!
Old March 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
Allstar

I vote other because mint was not on the list , I guess you can include it as a vote for Ubuntu