Other 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Solid post Borg!

I've been using Ubuntu for a while myself, since 7.04, and i've grown quite fond of its simplicity. I was off for reading week last week and I had a chance to finally reformat my school/work laptop. I've always wanted to try Debian and since 6.0 just came out a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give it a try. I....... was unimpressed, but maybe I was just impatient. It took forever to get wireless working, seeing as Debian now only includes "FREE" repositories/libraries. I also wasn't a big fan of KDE so I decided to install Gnome. Things got better but I ended up just getting fed up after a couple days with minor nuisances. I installed Linux Mint 10 and I can say truthfully that I will not be switching anytime soon.
Linux is an OS that you can mold. Yes sometimes things may take a bit more or less time to establish but remember this is not Windows.

The reasons some distros work better than others is the support they put into the kernel for module support.

Wireless support is REALLY good in Linux but will also depend on the network adapter you have in your machine than Linux.
Old March 7, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ubuntu. My opinion means nothing.
Old March 7, 2011, 02:07 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
.... but remember this is not Windows..
it's why I suggest Mint, this distro feel like Windows and itís still base on Ubuntu, itís the first Linux experience to the OP, so he will feel less in enemy territory with mint.
Old March 7, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Already a lot of answer ;) Seems that ubuntu is the winner for now!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 7, 2011, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Already a lot of answer ;) Seems that ubuntu is the winner for now!
I always recommend Ubuntu to get familiarized with a Linux OS then progress from there if you want.

Keep in mind Linux still does not have the greatest support for ATI unlike Nvidia.
Old March 7, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No problem with that, my lappy use a Geforce 7150.

I was looking at chrome OS and found that it was made out of Linux suse, what do you think about Suse guys? Or even chrome OS ( but it's not out yet :( ( don't talk about leaked software)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 7, 2011, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
No problem with that, my lappy use a Geforce 7150.

I was looking at chrome OS and found that it was made out of Linux suse, what do you think about Suse guys? Or even chrome OS ( but it's not out yet :( ( don't talk about leaked software)
SuSE is rpm based like its fellow Redhat/Fedora counterparts of which I do not like and most people do not like either.

Debian is nice because of apt and it has a good package management system setup.
Old March 7, 2011, 03:06 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
IKeep in mind Linux still does not have the greatest support for ATI unlike Nvidia.

that was years ago, new version of Ubuntu and all derivative including Mint will download a driver made by ATI, actually I found the install of Ubuntu more easy than Windows 7.
Old March 7, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
that was years ago, new version of Ubuntu and all derivative including Mint will download a driver made by ATI, actually I found the install of Ubuntu more easy than Windows 7.
No this was not year ago. ATI still doesn't have any where NEAR the support Nvidia does for Linux.

Nvidia actually provides driver support off their website
Old March 7, 2011, 03:42 PM
Allstar

unless you want to run games on Ubuntu, or some wear stuf , what kind of support you need from a GPU vendors, everything I throw to my Mint with a 4890 run as fine as my Ubuntu with a gtx 8800, what I means for the purpose of the OP, red or green will do fine.