Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default NVIDIA Drivers Slowing Down PC with Every New Release

I find that with every new NVIDIA driver, my PC/GPU gets slower and slower during Folding@Home. With the current latest WHQL drivers, I can't watch YouTube without having Folding@Home turned off on the GPU, or having Adobe's hardware acceleration turned off. Now, I noticed that I can't open up Windows Photo Viewer either without my computer lagging. Aren't newer drivers supposed to make things better? Not worse? I think I'm going to have to give the 260.99 WHQL drivers a try and see if things are better, because it's pretty annoying right now watching my computer freeze on YouTube or Windows Photo Viewer. It's like NVIDIA is forcing me to do that much needed GPU upgrade...
Old March 6, 2011, 08:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

With "older" cards, there's really no point in upgrading drivers IMO. Unless the change log makes mention to your card or a game you must play, I wouldn't bother.

Unified drivers are great and all, but really, the latest version only properly supports the latest cards I'd say. I know us enthusiasts get stuck in the never-ending "must always have the latest" trend, but sometimes it's not worth it.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:32 PM
Banned
F@H

amen. i used to be able to watch stuff while folding, no more. might go back to 180's or something myself.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well only reason I update drivers is if the computer is crashing, or I did a format. I recently had to format so I installed the latest drivers. Pretty annoyed with the results. 260.XX are the latest drivers I can go back to since those are post-SC2 drivers.

Off topic, but should I have PhysX enabled on my 9600GT? I mainly play SC2.
Old March 6, 2011, 11:47 PM
Banned
F@H

i think its enabled by default.

question is, what are you still doing with a 9600? so many cheap cards around,
your psu can take a gts 512 no problemo
Old March 7, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i think its enabled by default.

question is, what are you still doing with a 9600? so many cheap cards around,
your psu can take a gts 512 no problemo
That's why I'm wondering whether I should just leave it or disable it.

You've seen my GPU upgrade threads from a few months ago. Still haven't upgraded It's kinda hard to upgrade though when my mom is always watching what I buy. Plus the GTX/GTS 550 is just around the corner so I want to see how well they perform first in terms of the bang for buck compared to GTX 460 and GTS 450.

Plus I game on 1280X1024 haha. 16ms LCD ftw!
Old March 7, 2011, 12:01 PM
Banned
F@H

dude, the 550 is going to replace the 460,big deal.

just get a nice 260 or g92 512 both used super super cheap
Old March 7, 2011, 01:23 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This isn't an issue with the drivers but rather a combination of the drivers' ability to load balance and the new F@H projects which have been released.

For whatever reason, I have found the new projects to be poorly optimized which leads to excess load on the GPU and literally locks out its ability to multi-task. This means every SM is dedicated to folding and every other GPU-related task (even down to 2D desktop viewing) slows down to a crawl. In order to get around this, I would LOWER the priority of the F@H program and update to the latest version of CUDA.
Old March 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This isn't an issue with the drivers but rather a combination of the drivers' ability to load balance and the new F@H projects which have been released.

For whatever reason, I have found the new projects to be poorly optimized which leads to excess load on the GPU and literally locks out its ability to multi-task. This means every SM is dedicated to folding and every other GPU-related task (even down to 2D desktop viewing) slows down to a crawl. In order to get around this, I would LOWER the priority of the F@H program and update to the latest version of CUDA.
In that case, how would I lower the priority of the F@H program? It's already at the lowest, set at idle. It doesn't go any lower than that, even if I use a third party program.

Also doesn't the latest drivers include the latest version of CUDA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
dude, the 550 is going to replace the 460,big deal.

just get a nice 260 or g92 512 both used super super cheap
But as SKYMTL hinted in other threads, there are some improvements despite being more or less the same GPU. I want to see what the bang for buck is like. And I don't see the point in buying a used GTX 260 when a GTS 450 performs I believe similar to that but with less power consumption. And I have a $15 Newegg gift card that is expiring soon so I'm limited to buying from Newegg because I don't need to buy anything else there.
Old March 8, 2011, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Went back to 260.99 drivers. Tested YouTube 480P with hardware acceleration enabled and everything is smooth. Stupid new drivers.