Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2011, 09:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Reformatting My Rig

Hi guys,

In an effort to resolve some Windows glitches and video playback issues, I've decided to reformat my computer. I've done this numerous times before, but this will be the first time with my current rig, and I have a few questions.

Currently, I have Windows 7 installed on my C:/ drive along with all my applications, and I realize that these will have to be reinstalled. However, all of my games are installed on a separate partition (D:/) on that same hdd. Below are my concerns:

1. How will I get the games back up and running after reformat? Won't their registry keys be deleted during the reformat, even if the game files are on D:/?
2. My Steam client, along with all my Steam games, are all installed on D:/, but again, how will I get Steam back up and running after wiping C:/?
3. My iTunes is installed on C:/, and I do have a back up of my mp3s, but will reinstalling iTunes after the reformat cause my iPod to not recognize my computer as the original rig? (iTunes won't let you sync your iPod to someone else's computer).

That's basically it. I'd appreciate any help regarding this matter. My worst nightmare after reformat would be to have to completely delete all my games on D:/ drive and then reinstall them; I don't even want to think about having to download all my Steam games again (or worse, to lose them permanently).

Thank you!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old March 6, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can just backup the Steam games via the backup feature included with Steam.

I normally just copy and paste the installation directory for Steam, it normally fixes itself when I launch it on a reformatted computer. But since you're so concerned, just use the backup feature.

As for iTunes, I have no clue as I don't use it myself.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:17 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakage.shinga View Post
2. My Steam client, along with all my Steam games, are all installed on D:/, but again, how will I get Steam back up and running after wiping C:/?!
very simple I do it all the time :

You delete every folders and files in steam, exept the folder name "steamapps" and the files name steam.exe

once you reinstall windows, you just double click steam.exe, and it will redownload the stuf need to run it ( about 2 minutes download only. )
Old March 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Here's a guide for iTunes that has helped me in the past. iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive
Hope it will help you.
Old March 6, 2011, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

to back up most things on a windows7 pc you should copy your "C:\Users" folder that has the files you want to back up because most if not all of your settings are in there,every time that I have formatted I have always copied the "C:\Users" files also any game save files that are else where, I have always tried to save my files on a separate hd just in case something screws up