Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2007, 06:22 AM
Top Prospect

Default Which Anti-virus do you use

I use free programs and run Avira's AntiVir http://www.free-av.com/

It's never let me down although I also run Clamwin atthe same time to make sure there are no surprises http://www.clamwin.com/

The three other computers in the house are on Avast http://www.avast.com/
that's just to make triple sure a virus doesn't disable or spread through the home network without at least one of us catching a problem.
Old February 22, 2007, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I just pick up a copy of the ol' norton when it goes on sale- rather unimaginative, I know, but easy and locally available. I did some research before I bought it las time and decided I was going to get Kaspersky, but next thing I knew, I found myself wandering in that shop.....

How resource demanding are those utilities? that's why I want to divorce norton- it's so obnoxious with it dozens of little @#@$ processes running all the time- and hard to shut down when you want performance.
Old February 22, 2007, 06:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've been running AVG for quite some time and with two teenagers in the house have only had a couple of things sneek through during the last 4 years.

http://www.free.grisoft.com/doc/1

For extra protection I do an on-line scan @ http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ every now and then just to see if AVG has missed anything.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 22, 2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

AVG is probably one of the best if not the best free virus scanner. If I had to buy one I would go with NOD32. That's what i'm currently using and it hasn't let me down let. Kaspersky is a very close second.
Old February 22, 2007, 11:20 AM
Rookie

Hi Forge,
For Antivirus there are 3 classes in my mind:
Basic AV, upgraded FireWall & anti (whatever) packages and Packages including Parental Control (yes, some people have children and teenagers on the net!)

I've experimented Norton, my ISP's solution, McAfee , AVAST (based on Kapersky engine) and Computer Associates eTust and AVG. My conclusion is that you must first consider the computer hardware capacity and your needs. Norton is the heaviest of all, just as expensive as McAfee and not the most efficient either.

AVG is simple, stable and efficient, even on an old PIII 866 like mine. It is legal and free for home use. It may not be as complete as others I tried (firewall options very limited) but it offers the best compromise on the market I found so far. I use it with K9 Parental control (web based, very little local resources needed). Remember that you and the most inexperienced users (like children) will likely catch bugs by sneaking into questionnable sites.

Have (safe) fun !
Old February 22, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I've been running AVG for quite some time and with two teenagers in the house have only had a couple of things sneek through during the last 4 years.

http://www.free.grisoft.com/doc/1

For extra protection I do an on-line scan @ http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ every now and then just to see if AVG has missed anything.
Exactly

You sure your not my twin ss?

Norton sucks a** IMO it spawns a slew of prosess and eats up huge resoruces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 22, 2007, 05:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I wondered about the new free AOL stuff, and if AVG starts letting me down, I'll probably give it a try.

Hell.... I figure they owe me something for all of those disks & "signup" icons..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 22, 2007, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's what I'll try too after this subscription expires-- except I don't really even know how to get rid of Norton - tenacious little buger
Old February 22, 2007, 06:03 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
That's what I'll try too after this subscription expires-- except I don't really even know how to get rid of Norton - tenacious little buger
Last time I used Norton was three or four years ago. Norton sucks. Imo, it is too restrictive, a resource hog and dosen't give you any more protection than most free anti virus's. The last time I tried to uninstall Norton it was a pain in the butt. Symantec offers a removal tool on their website, or at least they used to. Plus you will probably have to go in and manually delete some leftover folders/files. I like avg and haven't had any problems with it so far(knock on wood lol) But if I was gonna pay for an AV I would definately go with NOD32. Just my 2 cents. :)
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old February 22, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Avast and its free!

I recommend it to anyone who asks.