Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2008, 10:28 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
Mcafee all the way ma comp was bugged with a virus that would randomly shut off my computer it took it righht outt let me tell yea lol if yu want a hooker of yer shoes its the only spray i use!!!! DASHOCK RECOMMENDED!!!
Translation ?
Old June 9, 2008, 06:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Edit: Just noticed I bumped a several-day old thread... oh well.

Right now I'm using BitDefender Free Edition 8.0 on both my desktop and laptop. I like the fact that I hardly even notice that it's running, and it updates it's virus definition files every hour, and full system scans are quick. I also LOVE the fact that it is completely FREE. :D

I've also used NOD32 and Kaspersky, NOD32 I also liked for the same reasons as BitDefender, you never notice that it's running and it updates itself often, and from all the AV programs I've used to far it's the one which uses the least system resources. I also found Kaspersky to be quite good but for the first day or two after you just install it I found it to be somewhat annoying as it asks you if everything you try to run is "safe" or not. After that though it was pretty much like the others except it has much more different levels of protection (which TBH are sort of overkill if you know your Internet ettiquette).
-Deadpool
Old June 11, 2008, 10:29 PM
Allstar

Downside to BitDefender 8 Free is that it doesn't provide real time protection, it doesn't work w/ Vista, and it's no longer available directly from Softwin.

They do have Bitdefender 10 Free, though.
Old June 12, 2008, 03:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm seriously considering moving away from freeAVG after many many years of trouble free operation.

The updating of the latest version "breaks" the AV every week or so......... :(

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 14, 2008, 06:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyless View Post
Edit: Just noticed I bumped a several-day old thread... oh well.

Right now I'm using BitDefender Free Edition 8.0 on both my desktop and laptop. I like the fact that I hardly even notice that it's running, and it updates it's virus definition files every hour, and full system scans are quick. I also LOVE the fact that it is completely FREE. :D

I've also used NOD32 and Kaspersky, NOD32 I also liked for the same reasons as BitDefender, you never notice that it's running and it updates itself often, and from all the AV programs I've used to far it's the one which uses the least system resources. I also found Kaspersky to be quite good but for the first day or two after you just install it I found it to be somewhat annoying as it asks you if everything you try to run is "safe" or not. After that though it was pretty much like the others except it has much more different levels of protection (which TBH are sort of overkill if you know your Internet ettiquette).

Correction: I meant BitDefender 10...
-Deadpool
Old June 14, 2008, 06:58 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm seriously considering moving away from freeAVG after many many years of trouble free operation.

The updating of the latest version "breaks" the AV every week or so......... :(
Can you explain what you mean Steve? I've updated my rigs to the new version (8.0) and saw no difference.

John
Old June 14, 2008, 07:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Same, I've used AVG Free for a long while now, and v 8 seems fine, a cleaner layout was a bonus for sure.
Old August 22, 2008, 05:22 PM
Rookie

AVG 8.whatever-it's-up-to-now.
I hate it. It's intrusive, it acts like my mom acted when I was a little kid, and it constantly reminds me I have half of it shut off.
I only bought it because it has 64 bit support. Otherwise I'd use the McAfee Internet Security Suite, which my ISP, Comcast, gives to us free as a member perk.
I bought the whole AVG suite, but if I had known then what I know now, I'd have only bought the anti-virus.
Four more months til my subscription is up. It's the only time I think I can say I'm looking forward to a software license expiring. ;)
Old August 22, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

what? no poll?

geez....

i use currently zonealarm which is good... because i like suite... and will install norton on new computer because it had many excellent feature than most competitive suite... if freeware then i recommend comodo...

check PC World - All-in-One Security Suites: Tried and Tested

and they dont review new kaspersky 8 yet...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.