Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2011, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Win.7 Service Pack. ??

Anybody loaded this yet? What's new in it? Any issues to report? I'm not so sure this pack is needed. Is it?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 23, 2011, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i have been running it since yesterday on 2 machines to test and no problems what so every yet on them didn't really have the time to look through to see what was there just ran with it.
Old February 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
Allstar

have it since last week ( technet) don't notice any difference on 6 PCs with W7 , but I do notice something my experience index was at 7,8 for the Graphic and now it drop to 7,7 on my gaming PC, don'T check yet other PCs , also it take forever on windows 2008 r2 to install.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:04 AM
Top Prospect

From what I read it's a bunch of minor fixes - audio over HDMI, as well as some security patches. I was a bit confused too: to me a Service Pack means some sort of change in functionality (cf. the XP Service Packs).

Anyways, I have W7 SP1 running on two machines and one netbook - haven't noticed any problems, or anything at all really. I do remember reading that getting the Service Pack is not at all necessary, unlike say Vista SP1 which you needed to get to run Office 2010.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ive been using SP1 for a month or so. Gives a nice boost with SB as it enables AVX
Old February 23, 2011, 01:39 PM

My System Specs

It won't install for me. Guess when I vLited my installation I took out something SP1 requires.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Heh Windows Update says the install is only 73.6MB? I was expecting ~300MB for a service pack at least.
I'll install it tonight, provided Windows doesn't automatically do it without notice before I get to it.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:28 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Heh Windows Update says the install is only 73.6MB? I was expecting ~300MB for a service pack at least.
I'll install it tonight, provided Windows doesn't automatically do it without notice before I get to it.
The download is about 1GB in size.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I like to wait on these things for a little bit and see if anything gets broken.

That being said, this SP seems pretty tame for the most part (probably because W7 is a service pack in my eyes....)
Fold for team #54196
Old February 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
It won't install for me. Guess when I vLited my installation I took out something SP1 requires.
Microsoft update servers were down a lot today, might be why. I had several installs fail on all my machines running 7, only 1 has actually updated sucessfully. If you took out the preparation update that is required for SP1, Windows prompts you to download it automatically.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I like to wait on these things for a little bit and see if anything gets broken.

That being said, this SP seems pretty tame for the most part (probably because W7 is a service pack in my eyes....)
Agreed, but I always made an exception for Windows. Remember the Filipino script kiddie that wreaked havoc on XP systems several years back? Well the loophole he exploited was fixed on the previous patch Tuesday.