Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
Top Prospect

Default Dual boot question

If I was to put Vista on my new PC before I put on XP, or vice versa, would there be any problems?

I heard someone saying you lose stuff from Vista if you do XP first.. and it would take alot of work to get it back..
Old January 15, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Always put XP then Vista and put them onto two different partitions.

Vista will cope better with XP being installed first with its boot menu.
Old January 15, 2008, 07:27 PM
Top Prospect

Awesome thanks man!
Old January 18, 2008, 07:55 PM
MVP

Default additional info of interest on this subject

How to make XP / Vista dual-boot Independently - MSFN Forums

How to Install XP after Vista and Fix the Bootloader - MSFN Forums
Old January 18, 2008, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

I can't even get XP or Linux to install and Vista didn't come today, so now I have to wait all weekend before I can do anything on my computer cause my old version of Windows IS OEM. So I pretty much won't know if there's anything wrong my system until monday, which then, if something is, it's only another week or 2 I have to wait to get a new god damn part for it. It's pissing me off because I only have a month until I'm going on tour and I wanna have this build up for the wife. I also at least wanna get some time played on it.. I'm redownloading the OS to see if maybe there was a corrupted file or something..
Old January 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just installed Vista on a second HDD with XP installed first. You choose custom install and then choose to install on a different partition/disk. It worked flawlessly and I can now dual boot. The only downfall is you get a boot loader screen during re-starts and you have to choose xp or it defaults to Vista. I know this can be changed but I haven't had time to figure it out yet.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old January 19, 2008, 12:51 AM
Top Prospect

I can't get anything to boot. We'll see, I now have to wait until Monday until Vista arrives... to see if Vista will even install itself. If it doesn't install then, I obviously have some faulty hardware, which I don't know what I'll do to figure it out since I run a mac....
Old January 19, 2008, 03:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

DUDE! You still didn't fix that machine? Man....take your rig and shove.....oh no...bring it towards another computer to check out all the components! Just swap them all out to see if they work properly. Does your board give you any failures on the POST display?
Old January 19, 2008, 12:06 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah it's always reading off numbers... nothing that I was paying attention too though cause I don't know what they mean. haha I can get into the bios and everythings fine from there... it appears. I'm going to retry installing Linux, since it's a free OS.. If I can't get it, I'll be waiting for Vista, and if that don't work, I can try to plug things into my old PC, but it's 7 years old.. so half the stuff probably won't work with it anyways. My old Mobo is an AGP x8.. I don't even know if it has Sata 2 ports... they company that put it together didn't do ANY cable management.. So it'll be a mad house trying to fit stuff into it.
Old January 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
I just installed Vista on a second HDD with XP installed first. You choose custom install and then choose to install on a different partition/disk. It worked flawlessly and I can now dual boot. The only downfall is you get a boot loader screen during re-starts and you have to choose xp or it defaults to Vista. I know this can be changed but I haven't had time to figure it out yet.
msconfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton