Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2008, 04:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default To go Vista or not

Trying to figure out if I am going to upgrade to Vista
I understand that most of the driver issues are over with and the cancel or allow thing is annoying so is it best to upgrade from XP to Vista now or just stick with XP until it becomes obsolete.

The main reason I am asking is because I am going to be getting a laptop in the near future and it will have Vista on it, so was thinking to get more familiar with it is to go out and get an OEM copy of Vista and start using it.

Let me know your opinions and please don't argue with anyone else's opinion as it is that their opinion and I am asking for it.
(read a lot of threads in the Software section and it turns into an argument between a few posters)

also just home premium or ultimate

Last edited by vintank; January 13, 2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old January 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
Rookie

I am using Vista x64 Ultimate right now on my old AMD X2 and I like it. I find it hard to use my XP laptop and my Win2k work laptop now because of some features. IE: it deals with photos and videos a lot better, everything now does reside in the persons document folder so back-ups are a lot simpler. The UI takes a but to get used to but other than that, for a new build go with Vista for an existing system stick with XP, as gaming under Vista is slower (i get some pretty crappy preformance in games like NWN2, UT3) compaired to XP. Although with my new quad core I should not see any of those problems with Vista, have yet to have a driver issue other than for my old Hercules Digifire 7.1 sound card (like there are no drivers for it).
Old January 13, 2008, 04:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well my new build will have an E8500 going with the dual core as I won't utilize quad core for sometime, unless quad core has some effect on Website design stuff as that is what I will be taking in school come September switching from my current accounting lol need something more Geek
Old January 13, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would upgrade if I had a high end system- but not without hesitation- I hate taking the performance hit (10 to 15% for many things), and I can't use ESRI GIS on this computer anymore- I have to use my other.

If I wasn't much of a gamer, and I didn't have a kick ass system, I would definately stay with XP
Old January 13, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wouldn't upgrade to Vista. I run it and love it, but there is no reason to give up on XP yet. If you built a new PC and needed a new copy of Windows for it then I'd suggest Vista 64bit. Otherwise I'd ride out XP atleast until they make a DX10 game/video card worth a damn.
Old January 13, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Absolutely nothing in Vista that is required compared to XP.

DX10 and the Aero GUI is a joke.
Superfetch is Microsoft bein lazy.
Old January 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well my new system will be DFI lanparty DK P35-T2RS (think thats the model number) Crucial PC2-8500 2 gigs of ram (2 seperate sticks) will get another set of them in the future if I am going to need them for the programs, an eVGA 8800GTS 512mb (cause of the step up, with the new ones to come out in march or april as I am running a 7800 GS OC 256mb agp card right now) and the E8500 when it comes out
Old January 13, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
well my new system will be DFI lanparty DK P35-T2RS (think thats the model number) Crucial PC2-8500 2 gigs of ram (2 seperate sticks) will get another set of them in the future if I am going to need them for the programs, an eVGA 8800GTS 512mb (cause of the step up, with the new ones to come out in march or april as I am running a 7800 GS OC 256mb agp card right now) and the E8500 when it comes out
Just run XP and you'll be fine
Old January 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yeah I have to buy a new copy as my current will stay with this system
Old January 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
Allstar

You can always go dual boot at first until you get used to the system then just remove the XP partition. Some people complain that Vista is a hog etc BUT it is meant for newer system and if you optimize the OS you can get a nice lean system that runs very fast. Same with XP, guys were wondernig if they should go to XP and it was so big and such a performance hit. Vista is a nice OS it has many nice features. I installed it speant some time optimizing the OS and all is good. GOod kuck with your choice.