Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2008, 09:42 AM
Allstar

..I remember similar arguments when guys were moving to XP. I really have had no issues with Vista, since I installed it. I optimized it for use on my system but I do that with any OS. You right though, Most people that don't want Vista have no idea why or are just spewing what they have been told to say. To each their own I guess, but to that extent atleast know why you are choosing one way or the other.:)
Old January 15, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
..I remember similar arguments when guys were moving to XP. I really have had no issues with Vista, since I installed it. I optimized it for use on my system but I do that with any OS. You right though, Most people that don't want Vista have no idea why or are just spewing what they have been told to say. To each their own I guess, but to that extent atleast know why you are choosing one way or the other.:)
The only gripe and beef people had with XP when it first merged was the hundreds of bugs it had which caused a lot of grief for people. I'll give to Vista that upon release it wasn't plagued with this NEAR as much but still had its issues like file copying and file deletion.

People didn't complain XP the same way they are with Vista because going from Win95 to Win98 to Win2000 to WinXP was exactly the same aside from some new features and was easy to go with because the overall look and feel was the same and people were ok with that.

The same cannot be said for Vista and thats why you either hate it or you love it.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:04 AM
Allstar

...re-learn? What is so different? -When XP came out I remember guys complaining about the GUI, the services etc.etc. Games didn't run the same etc. It had a very big footprint compared to previous OS's they said.
As far as Vista is concerned I wouldn't say I hate it or love it. It is just there and will become mainstay sooner or later.
XP has the same feel as 98? -the same as 95? As I said everybody will have their opinion, Trouble is many make up that opinion without atleast trying it.

Last edited by Robscix; January 15, 2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
...re-learn? What is so different? -When XP came out I remember guys complaining about the GUI, the services etc.etc. Games didn't run the same etc. It had a very big footprint compared to previous OS's they said.
As far as Vista is concerned I wouldn't say I hate it or love it. It is just there and will become mainstay sooner or later.
XP has the same feel as 98? -the same as 95? As I said everybody will have their opinion, Trouble is many make up that opinion without atleast trying it.
Yes re-learn. Everything that you find in XP has been completely revamped, moved, replaced, re-organized to different spots. I can't even change my display settings without taking an extra 2 or 3 clicks of a mouse and that is to much change imho.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
Trial Member

It depends on your needs. I mostly use the OS for development and games these days. Vista is just not good enough for me yet (e.g. before sql server 2005 sp2 you could not run sql server on it).
Since you're gonna get a laptop with Vista, I would wait for that one first, before shelling out the $$$ for a Vista OEM.
I always used to grab the last OS and stick with it (being it 95, 98, 200, XP). In case of Vista I tried it twice already and every time went back to XP. The only thing that I'm impressed with is the Win Update ability to recognize the devices and download drivers for them. I disabled most of the rest (uac, aero, sidebar...) as i always give speed priority over the looks. I'm waiting for the SP1 RTM and will try again (although i keep hearing it does not solve the existing incompatibilities). Who knows, maybe the third time will be the charm... :D
Old January 15, 2008, 11:57 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpax View Post
e.g. before sql server 2005 sp2 you could not run sql server on it.
But SQL Server 2005 SP2 was released last March, only a few months after Vista launched. Support for Vista for the vast majority of products appeared in the months following the launch of Vista, and it's mostly peachy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yes re-learn. Everything that you find in XP has been completely revamped, moved, replaced, re-organized to different spots. I can't even change my display settings without taking an extra 2 or 3 clicks of a mouse and that is to much change imho.
Every OS other than Windows has it easy here, nobody complains when Gentoo or Mac OS get their UI moved around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The same cannot be said for Vista and thats why you either hate it or you love it.
I don't love or hate Vista. It's the best Windows OS to date, and I currently use it interchangably with Ubuntu on my own PC. I gave similar support to XP when it launched and was getting killed by the online community. However, I also honestly feel that Vista was in much better shape than XP at its respective launch, even if the media reception didn't portray that.

To anyone interested:
Here is an excellent Vista tweak/performance FAQ/guide on Anandtech, probably the best I've seen.
Old January 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree that MS OSes need to get past x86 and especially the Ram limit. I also agree that in this regard Vista is better. But as an OS as a whole, I don't think Vista is all that great. IMHO it feels more like a transitional OS rather than something that is going to be around a long time and attract more people to it as time goes by. A friend of mine put it nicely....

"MS took some OS X engineers, put them in a room with the MS ME engineers and said, you can't come out till you have a new OS".

Yes there is a TON of misinformation out there but who's fault is that? Maybe if MS got their s**t together and released one OS instead of a plethora of cash grabbing, consumer confusing versions people would generally feel more comfortable and informed about Vista. Basic marketing... you give them too many choices and you scare them away. It needs to be a nice and tight little package, especially when it comes to computers and any hi-tech or electronics.

Then there's DX10? WTF is that? Crytek attempting to cripple "Very High" on DX9. Uhm jeeez... who's idea was this? Not Crytek's I'll bet!!!! MS strong arming their partners into forcing Vista sales is also not a good sign. MS tried it with Dell at launch and it backfired badly there.

There is no need to adopt Vista at this stage of the game for what is most of the computer users out there. With SP3 for XP and at least a few more years of support from MS, XP is stable, reliable, compatible, cheaper etc.. etc... I am not bashing Vista, I just don't think it's MS's best foot forward. There's a good chance many people will miss the Vista boat all together and it won't hurt them one bit.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 15, 2008, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have a feeling that security will probably be just as secure in SP3 as it is in Vista and if thats the case then there will be absolutely NO reason to switch.
Old January 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

is XP really going to stop being sold in 6 months, if that is the case then the best option is to get Vista Ultimate and if I don't like it then I can downgrade it to XP and when Vista is better then upgrade again for free. I honestly have a few friends that have Vista and they don't notice a difference from XP to Vista just that Vista is "prettier" but they are not tech people at all

the whole OS from everything that has been said and written it all comes down to personal preference and for me I have read and taken everyones opinion and thought a lot about Vista vs XP and well I won't be able to decide till I try Vista which is what I am going to do, but I think I will just see if I can find a trial version of it and then if I like it buy it.
Old January 15, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
is XP really going to stop being sold in 6 months, if that is the case then the best option is to get Vista Ultimate and if I don't like it then I can downgrade it to XP and when Vista is better then upgrade again for free. I honestly have a few friends that have Vista and they don't notice a difference from XP to Vista just that Vista is "prettier" but they are not tech people at all

the whole OS from everything that has been said and written it all comes down to personal preference and for me I have read and taken everyones opinion and thought a lot about Vista vs XP and well I won't be able to decide till I try Vista which is what I am going to do, but I think I will just see if I can find a trial version of it and then if I like it buy it.
Microsoft has said June/July will be the last time for production but I'm sure there will be plenty of stock in warehouses all over that will keep it being sold for many many months after and sometime in 2009 I think maybe 2010 they stop the support.

Vista Ultimate and Business are the best routes tho cost more as they are downgradedable unlike VHB or VHP