Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2008, 03:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Whether its 1 or 10 fps difference from XP to Vista its still faster ;) Not always at times but for the most part I'll take or 1 or 2 frames more if need be.
It's not always faster in XP... 3 of the 5 benchmarks showed higher minimum and average framerates in Vista, and the remaining 2 had comments in the review explaining that there was less performance degradation over time and faster load times for the respective games when played in Vista.
Old January 14, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow these are the first pro Vista comments for gaming I have ever seen on any forum! Not that I check forums all the time for Vista comments but general consensus is Vista eats performance on games. Even hardware reviews with benches support Vista performance as worse than XP on many games, especially when running *cough* DX10 *cough* on Vista vs DX9 on XP. Or in the case of Crysis, Very High on Vista and "Very High" on XP. However with the latest Crysis patch that may have changed I don't really know? I don't see what hardware you ran those benches on Mars?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 14, 2008, 04:19 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Wow these are the first pro Vista comments for gaming I have ever seen on any forum! Not that I check forums all the time for Vista comments but general consensus is Vista eats performance on games. Even hardware reviews with benches support Vista performance as worse than XP on many games, especially when running *cough* DX10 *cough* on Vista vs DX9 on XP. Or in the case of Crysis, Very High on Vista and "Very High" on XP. However with the latest Crysis patch that may have changed I don't really know? I don't see what hardware you ran those benches on Mars?
I didn't run them, they're from this review. 3.1 GHz Core 2 Duo, 8800 GTX, 2GB RAM. They've got an earlier one with ATI hardware.

Those tests were ran quite some time ago, with older drivers, performance in both XP and Vista, should be improved since then.

I'm not really sure what Vista DX10 vs. XP DX9 benchmarks are supposed to prove; one could always just run Vista in DX9.

If you have any recent (past 2-3 months) reviews with benchmark scores comparing equal setups with XP and Vista, I'd love to see them. There were a lot of benchmarks done when Vista launched with rather shoddy drivers from both ati and nvidia, but nothing much since then.
Old January 14, 2008, 08:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
all my games that will run in vistax64 have 10-23fps increase lol i bet its just cause of going from a x1950 pro (agp ) to a 8800gt that makes it though. haven't got the Crysis patch yet, it any good IMO its a tech demo with guns lol, i like cod4 more
Old January 15, 2008, 01:00 AM
MVP

Lots of FUD & misinformation in here.

I'd suggest Vista x64 Ultimate or perhaps Home Premium if price is a concern.

x86 is a dead future; i think anyone can see that.

And while XP had a good run, its days are over.

Obviously, there's the usual fear-mongering over Vista, but in reality, those who actually have a clue & give Vista a chance generally quite like it.
Old January 15, 2008, 01:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Lots of FUD & misinformation in here.

I'd suggest Vista x64 Ultimate or perhaps Home Premium if price is a concern.

x86 is a dead future; i think anyone can see that.

And while XP had a good run, its days are over.

Obviously, there's the usual fear-mongering over Vista, but in reality, those who actually have a clue & give Vista a chance generally quite like it.
Obviously you don't work in the IT industry and talk to customers on a day to day basis about XP vs Vista cause you'd know that 90% of the people walking into my store STILL want XP over Vista.

Trust me its days are FAR from over.
Old January 15, 2008, 03:48 AM
MVP

Quote:
Obviously you don't work in the IT industry and talk to customers on a day to day basis about XP vs Vista cause you'd know that 90% of the people walking into my store STILL want XP over Vista.

The comment was that x86 was dead, not only XP, which is accurate in the long term. x86 is useless for high performance systems, with its 4gb of ram limit.

With the attitude you've got towards Vista, I'm not surprised that 90% of the people who go into your store still want XP over Vista, most people who haven't tried Vista have just heard vague media reports, and could be convinced either way.

And sales of XP stop in 6 months from now, so the future of XP is quite dead in fact, after that.
Old January 15, 2008, 04:21 AM
Allstar

I'd go w/ Vista for almost any non-low-end system ...
Old January 15, 2008, 08:24 AM
MVP

Quote:

Actually i do. The irony of this is that most of those customers who want XP want it because they've heard misinformation, just like you seem to be intent on spreading here.
Usually when i ask why they don't want Vista, they have no idea, they just heard from a friend from a friend some BS that doesn't even make sense.

One reason alone for me to recommend Vista over XP to customers is security.

Tell me, how many systems with Vista have you seen with rampant viruses & spyware?
Sorry, but since i deal with [security-related] PC issues every day, & XP can not die off fast enough in that regard.

No offense, but your mission to bash Vista on these forums is pretty sad, since there are some very clear benefits, & it IS the future, whether you want to cling to XP or not.
Obviously, everyone is welcome to their preference, but it's just kinda funny to see how things go, since the same thing tends to repeat itself every new OS...
Old January 15, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Actually i do. The irony of this is that most of those customers who want XP want it because they've heard misinformation, just like you seem to be intent on spreading here.
Usually when i ask why they don't want Vista, they have no idea, they just heard from a friend from a friend some BS that doesn't even make sense.

One reason alone for me to recommend Vista over XP to customers is security.

Tell me, how many systems with Vista have you seen with rampant viruses & spyware?
Sorry, but since i deal with [security-related] PC issues every day, & XP can not die off fast enough in that regard.

No offense, but your mission to bash Vista on these forums is pretty sad, since there are some very clear benefits, & it IS the future, whether you want to cling to XP or not.
Obviously, everyone is welcome to their preference, but it's just kinda funny to see how things go, since the same thing tends to repeat itself every new OS...
Bash Vista? Hardly.

Security? Hardly?

UAC is a joke because most people turn it off and defeat the purpose of the built in security features.

Yes some people come in and hear bad truths but most of the time people come in and want XP because they are comfortable with it. For people who have never used a computer or have limited use on one Vista is fine for them because its something they are not accustomed to and can learn it unlike people who know XP and have to re-learn an OS because MS thought it was funny to re-arrange everything.

I only bash it because most of the time I've used it its always been bad for me and has left a sour taste in my mouth which is why when people come in I won't recommend Vista to them because I don't see a reason to offer them a OS that is going to be shortly outdated.

XP is going to be around for a long long long time just as Win2000, WinME, and Win98 are still widely in use for many different reasons including that some people don't need to spend money on buying a new computer or that they don't need the features of Vista.

I'll say it again and keep saying as this point in time there is absolutely nothing in Vista that is absolutely critical for people to need to buy it at all.