Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2008, 12:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I dont see any reason to use Vista TBH. I dual boot, xp, server 03, vista 64 and vista is just pretty and uses more ram. I use vista for my day to day os, but half of my games dont work so i have to boot to xp to play em. It is a PITA.
Half of your games seriously don't work at all?

I don't know if I got lucky or what, but every single game I've tried on Vista has worked fine. Most don't require any tweaking, the rest can be fixed with a google search.
Old January 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

I don't know if I got lucky or what, but every single game I've tried on Vista has worked fine. Most don't require any tweaking, the rest can be fixed with a google search.

Those games you run in Vista only use DX9 and those that may require DX10 aren't taking advantage of it anyways and thirdly those games your playing would be faster and snappier in XP over Vista.
Old January 14, 2008, 01:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:

Yeah, I have been playing EQ2 again lately and it will not install nor run on Vista 64. SoE just says the OS is "unsupported". Happens with games that have been around a while like online ones.
Old January 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Those games you run in Vista only use DX9 and those that may require DX10 aren't taking advantage of it anyways and thirdly those games your playing would be faster and snappier in XP over Vista.
Really? Got any benchmarks with recent hardware and drivers to back this up?

Here's a post of mine on another forum regarding benchmarks in Vista that I don't feel like retyping again. I have images of every benchmark from that review, I wasn't selected specific ones to make it look for favourable for Vista.

Eldonko: Might be worth noting that I'm playing primarily older games on Vista, I think I have a total of 2 games from 2006-2007, the rest of my games are all 2005 and older.
Old January 14, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Really? Got any benchmarks with recent hardware and drivers to back this up?

Here's a post of mine on another forum regarding benchmarks in Vista that I don't feel like retyping again. I have images of every benchmark from that review, I wasn't selected specific ones to make it look for favourable for Vista.

Eldonko: Might be worth noting that I'm playing primarily older games on Vista, I think I have a total of 2 games from 2006-2007, the rest of my games are all 2005 and older.
Why? You look at 90% of people playing games on Vista and everyone will tell you the same thing; XP is faster and theres no denying that.

Vista eats to much out of your system which hurts its overall performance with apps and games.
Old January 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
The 64 bit version is where you find most compatibility issues I think, for example EQ2 supposedly works on vista 32 but not 64.
Old January 14, 2008, 02:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

been reading a lot about the differences these days and I can tell you that Vista has the edge in performance but it all comes down to personal preference for people, some people want to go after the next thing being Vista and others are just realy comfortable with their XP environment. What is disappointing is the fact that Vienna is set to be released in 2010 (which we all know wil get pushed back probably to 2013) so it makes you think how much support Vista is going to get for patches and such or if Vista is really Windows ME all over again.
Old January 14, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
been reading a lot about the differences these days and I can tell you that Vista has the edge in performance but it all comes down to personal preference for people, some people want to go after the next thing being Vista and others are just realy comfortable with their XP environment. What is disappointing is the fact that Vienna is set to be released in 2010 (which we all know wil get pushed back probably to 2013) so it makes you think how much support Vista is going to get for patches and such or if Vista is really Windows ME all over again.
Its nothing to do with comfortableness its the fact that Vista is clumsy and difficult even for veterans of the computer world and that is what is detracting from a lot of people wanting to use it including myself.

I hate having to fumble around to find something in Vista like network protocols.
Old January 14, 2008, 02:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
If MS stays on schedule, XP will have been the anomaly with the length of its release. Every other Windows OS has had a new version within 2-3 years, and MS has stated they want to keep it that way.

It shouldn't affect support too badly, Windows 2000 gets patches until 2010, so XP will get at least an equivalent length of support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Why? You look at 90% of people playing games on Vista and everyone will tell you the same thing; XP is faster and theres no denying that.

Vista eats to much out of your system which hurts its overall performance with apps and games.
Did you even check my post I linked to? It has actual hard numbers showing similar performance between XP and Vista, you can't simply disprove them with a statement saying that XP is undeniably faster.
Old January 14, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Whether its 1 or 10 fps difference from XP to Vista its still faster ;) Not always at times but for the most part I'll take or 1 or 2 frames more if need be.