Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2008, 06:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well from the sounds of things its probably going to be Vista Premium unless the extra stuff in Ultimate is good to have
Old January 13, 2008, 08:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Superfetch is Microsoft bein lazy.
How do you figure?
Old January 13, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
How do you figure?
Whats the easiest way to make anything go faster? Just pre-cache everything. Look at linux for example it doesn't have pre-fetch or any of that crap and has wonderful memory management.
Old January 13, 2008, 09:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Whats the easiest way to make anything go faster? Just pre-cache everything. Look at linux for example it doesn't have pre-fetch or any of that crap and has wonderful memory management.
What? Linux has had various forms of pre-fetching for years, and memory management systems (for Linux) are still evolving, as the amount of extra memory on a typical system continues to increase.

Like you've implied, superfetch does make everything go faster; it's a dramatic improvement over previous Windows operating systems.
Old January 13, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
What? Linux has had various forms of pre-fetching for years, and memory management systems (for Linux) are still evolving, as the amount of extra memory on a typical system continues to increase.

Like you've implied, superfetch does make everything go faster; it's a dramatic improvement over previous Windows operating systems.
I use Vista on a day to day basis and I don't find it any bit faster than XP and in fact due to superfetch I find its shutdown times a lot slower and same with its startup.
Old January 13, 2008, 10:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
I use Vista on a day to day basis and I don't find it any bit faster than XP and in fact due to superfetch I find its shutdown times a lot slower and same with its startup.
It isn't hard to run some tests in XP compared to Vista to see that programs start up faster in Vista. If you're interested, google it, or I'll google it for you if you really want...

Startup due to superfetch is extended because of minimal priority hard drive access, your computer should be completely usable during this time. I've used Vista on computers with up to 16GB of ram, which takes quite a while to fill on boot, and there's no need to wait around while the ram is filling up.

Shutdown time shouldn't be affected at all, it doesn't matter what's in memory when it gets powered off.
Old January 13, 2008, 10:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
u need to some tweaking my friend vistas default shutdown time waits 20 seconds i set it to 2 milliseconds lol and 4gbs of ram helps too my vsita is much faster than any xp system iv seen, is use xp for old games though, chek out his iste to help make your vista life easier Tutorials - Vista Forums
Old January 13, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I heard that in vista the the indexing (or something like) that is constantly running in the background which is constantly using or acessing the Harddrive for speedier file query which inturn wares out the Hard drive faster Not sure if it is true or not but I did read that somewhere
Old January 13, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverclan View Post
u need to some tweaking my friend vistas default shutdown time waits 20 seconds i set it to 2 milliseconds lol and 4gbs of ram helps too my vsita is much faster than any xp system iv seen, is use xp for old games though, chek out his iste to help make your vista life easier Tutorials - Vista Forums
You shouldn't have to tweak an OS to make it perform better. I install XP and only do a couple of things to it and leave it alone.
Old January 14, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I dont see any reason to use Vista TBH. I dual boot, xp, server 03, vista 64 and vista is just pretty and uses more ram. I use vista for my day to day os, but half of my games dont work so i have to boot to xp to play em. It is a PITA.