Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2011, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Resoulution Problem

Hi there guys! A friend of mine needed a reinstal of his OS. Finding his self a bit lost in the computer sphere he asked me to do it. I installed him Windows XP. Setting the resolution enough high, after i installed all the software needed, i restarted the computer. And "pop" there goes the problem after every restart/shut down the computer automatically switches back to the minimum resolution. I tryed a couple of more times, searched in the "Display Properties/Settings" but the dude was in a hurry and needed his machine as fast as possible. So it was OK for him to change his resolution when the computer is being turned on. If any one managed with a problem like that please help me out!

PS-1 - The video card is ATI.(Time was short i didnt even try to find out what was his configuration, but if it is some how tied to the problem it's no problem for me to call him and share it with you.) I even played with the ATI Catalyst Control Center for 2 minutes while i was waiting him to decide what to do.

PS-2- My mother tongue is not english, so please excuse me if i have grammatical mistakes.
Old February 8, 2011, 01:12 PM
Top Prospect

If it was a format/install, make sure XP is patched up to SP3 before you install the latest driver, it may not play nice with older SPs.

If it was a repair install, check if this registry setting which locks the desktop was enabled:

hkcu\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\pol icies\explorer\nosavesettings
Old February 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
If it was a format/install, make sure XP is patched up to SP3 before you install the latest driver, it may not play nice with older SPs.

If it was a repair install, check if this registry setting which locks the desktop was enabled:

hkcu\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\pol icies\explorer\nosavesettings

Yes only one of the drives was formated (the one with the OS on it). So i sugges i need to download a cleaning program wich removes the files from the previous OS ?
Old February 9, 2011, 03:45 PM
Top Prospect

If you formated the system/os drive and reinstall from scratch with a MSFT cd the system should be clean, setting wise, cleaning program shouldn't be needed. Did you update to SP3 and the latest patches? What video driver are you using? Did you go through the "OK to keep the change" confirmation pop-up after changing the resolution? Any "unknown device" in Device Manager?
Old February 10, 2011, 04:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
If you formated the system/os drive and reinstall from scratch with a MSFT cd the system should be clean, setting wise, cleaning program shouldn't be needed. Did you update to SP3 and the latest patches? What video driver are you using? Did you go through the "OK to keep the change" confirmation pop-up after changing the resolution? Any "unknown device" in Device Manager?

1-Yes i did formated the drive, where the OS was installed. But what does a MSFT cd? And no i did not made any updates to the windows.
2-Yes there was one unknow device wich supposed to be the camera.(but after installing the driver, there was no result)
3-I used the drivers from the disks he got with his computer. (As well as i know that is not the best option. I should of downloaded the drivers from ATI's Website, but as i said i had a timelimit... next time i see him i would try to replace the old drivers with updated one's)
Old February 10, 2011, 03:48 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
1-Yes i did formated the drive, where the OS was installed. But what does a MSFT cd? And no i did not made any updates to the windows.
If you used a XP installation disk brought from Microsoft nothing other than the OS would be installed. However "installation" disks that came with computers may result in additional stuff getting installed too.

You should always update Windows to the latest version immediately after installation. An out of date Windows XP makes it far too easy for viruses to infect the system.

I would try updating Windows (do that first) and then the current ATI/AMD driver and see if that fixes the problem.
Old February 11, 2011, 04:59 AM
Rookie

The problem is that i used a pirate disk, wont the update of the OS mess the things up? I will go for updating the video card driver. Thanks for the help!
Old February 11, 2011, 04:09 PM
Top Prospect

You're most welcome.

From MSFT Windows Genuine FAQ :

Quote:
If my computer is running non-genuine Windows can it still receive critical security updates?

Yes. Regardless of genuine status, you'll still be able to get critical security updates. However, if your copy of Windows isn't genuine, you won't be able to install many updates that are exclusively for genuine Windows customers, including Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft strongly recommends that you get genuine Microsoft software immediately to help ensure a safer computing experience.
However, you will not be able to use the WindowUpdate website you have to get the updates through Automatic Update (My Computer > right click > properties > automatic update). If you stick to Notify only and then install *ONLY* security updates, it will not mess up the OS.

If you have little time and the automatic update notification doesn't come up immediately, you can force it by going Start > Run and enter "wuauclt /detectnow /resetauthorization" (no quotes)

Note that what MSFT label as "critical updates" are often NOT security updates. To find out which security update your system needs you can use MSFT Security Baseline Analyser:

Baseline Security Analyzer 2.2 - Download FAQ Resources | TechNet

It not a good idea to run XP without the latest security patches, you're just asking to be infected... Well with a pirated OS (especially if you downloaded it via P2P) it may already have been infected...
Old February 12, 2011, 10:15 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the advices. I will work something out.