Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2011, 06:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Question Best ATI Drivers?

Hello

I was wondering if other users of ATI video cards would post some comments on results of using the latest drivers. See my sig for specs. I have read through various forums and some people have issues while other claim they don't regarding gaming stability or entire system stability. I'm currently running the 10.9's on a Sapphire 5870 OC edition. I tried the 10.12 and had screen shaking issues during the startup and shutdown of my system which didn't occur on the 10.9's. I play BFBC2 and the STALKER complete series - ( waiting for the COP complete release ) and am looking for the best performance. I use driver cleaner when changing drivers. Anyone care to comment?
Old February 4, 2011, 07:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Haven't had anything note worthy with the latest drivers (11.1). Seem to work fine.

I too have a HD5870 from Sapphire. Reference though, no overclock. I did come to find that the "top" DVI port seems flaky, but the "bottom" one works perfectly. It's only an issue when running dual screens (my other is connected to the DisplayPort) though. Perhaps that's something to try though.

Also what OS are you running? I'm on Windows 7 x64.
Old February 4, 2011, 09:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I am running same OSas you. I had to set card GPU/memory to 850/1200 reference as the Sapphire OC which was small caused the odd game to lock up. Overall Ihave been very happy with the card. Thanks for responding. Maybe the newer drivers will not cause this issue. Do you know if there is any difference between ATIAMD drivers or the Sapphire ones? Are the same driver when considering ........ the 11.1's
Old February 4, 2011, 09:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would assume so...but I always download mine directly from ATI/AMD from here Downloads

I'd try changing the output on the card as well if you have monitor issues. Like I said, when running dual-monitors, if I used the top DVI port, the 2nd monitor would flicker whenever I moved a window around on the 1st monitor.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:38 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I just checked your specs and those are quite impressive clocks on your video card!! I might wait for the the 11.2 drivers AMD today confirmed that MLAA will be enabled for the entire AMD ATI Radeon HD 5000 series in Catalyst 11.2! Quoted from the Rage 3d site.
Old February 5, 2011, 07:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, but my memory won't overclock at all :( Lately I've been running it only at 900MHz though since 1025MHz needs some extra voltage.

And MLAA is already supported in 11.1s for HD5870. I don't like it though as it makes the text in the Steam overlay all blurry. Also seems to make parts of the game seem blurry too, like cut scenes for example.
Old February 5, 2011, 12:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I looked up MLAA and found a couple of screen shots on geeks3d.com and it does make the edges blurry. Can you disable this feature in the 11.1's? YOu stsed above no other stability issues with the 11.1's other than this complaint. Correct?
Old February 5, 2011, 03:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, its merely a checkbox under the AA options in the Catalyst Control Center. Wasn't checked off by default, I just decided to try it and wasn't impressed.

All I've played lately has been Dead Space 2 and BF:BC2, and I've had no stability or performance issues with 11.1.
Old February 5, 2011, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

How's Dead Space 2?
Old February 5, 2011, 05:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It gets the heart pumping at times Rather gory though, so if you aren't into that kind of thing then it's probably not for you.