Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 3, 2011, 09:19 AM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,926

My System Specs

Default Linpack & CPU temperature programs for Linux

Linux n00b here. Going to try Linux for my dedicated folding@home rigs. Think I am going to try Xubuntu. Now the question is. What can I use to test for CPU stability. Are there any Linpack stress testers available? Also what is a good program to read CPU core temperatures?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,580
Default

For Linux I can't see why using Wine and LinX won't work and the same for CoreTemp.

There does appear to be SOME utilities out there tho not to sure how they'll work.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 3, 2011, 10:11 AM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,071

My System Specs

Default

I've tried Xubuntu and Ubuntu in the past for folding rigs. 8.04, 8.10, 9.04. IMHO, Ubuntu was a little easier to get going, seems to recognize more hardware off the bat. This may have been fixed with the most recent releases. Easiest thing to do is boot to the live CD, see how it works with your hardware. If it sees everything, then do the full install.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 3, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,566

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
For Linux I can't see why using Wine and LinX won't work and the same for CoreTemp.

There does appear to be SOME utilities out there tho not to sure how they'll work.
I can confirm most open source/freeware stress tests work well enough through Wine. All the Crystalmarks, OCCT, (is usually the most buggy though) prime95, LinX.

Otherwise your only choice is to use a dedicated stress testing distro like Stresslinux, there really aren't very many stability tests for Linux, no BSODs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I've tried Xubuntu and Ubuntu in the past for folding rigs. 8.04, 8.10, 9.04. IMHO, Ubuntu was a little easier to get going, seems to recognize more hardware off the bat. This may have been fixed with the most recent releases. Easiest thing to do is boot to the live CD, see how it works with your hardware. If it sees everything, then do the full install.
The two distros are essentially the same, they just use a different desktop environment targeted towards different users/systems. Xubuntu is intended for older systems with lower spec hardware, which may be why it didn't detect certain hardware automatically. There shouldn't be any hardware issues as long as you're not using ATI/AMD (which has still come a long way) or a lot of non legacy USB devices.

If you want to tweak your OS to be fairly lightweight, I would install Ubuntu and then change it to Lubuntu/Xubuntu for simplicity. Otherwise you'll be getting into specialty distros like Puppy Linux and DSL.

EDIT: BTW I hope it's not going on the SR-2, don't think the driver support would be all that good. Though I could be totally wrong.
__________________

Last edited by ilya; February 3, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 3, 2011, 11:21 AM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,926

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I can confirm most open source/freeware stress tests work well enough through Wine. All the Crystalmarks, OCCT, (is usually the most buggy though) prime95, LinX.

Otherwise your only choice is to use a dedicated stress testing distro like Stresslinux, there really aren't very many stability tests for Linux, no BSODs.



The two distros are essentially the same, they just use a different desktop environment targeted towards different users/systems. Xubuntu is intended for older systems with lower spec hardware, which may be why it didn't detect certain hardware automatically. There shouldn't be any hardware issues as long as you're not using ATI/AMD (which has still come a long way) or a lot of non legacy USB devices.

If you want to tweak your OS to be fairly lightweight, I would install Ubuntu and then change it to Lubuntu/Xubuntu for simplicity.

EDIT: BTW I hope it's not going on the SR-2, don't think the driver support would be all that good. Though I could be totally wrong.
Thanks for the post. Actually yes I do plan on throwing it on both of the SR-2s. The only drivers I care for are the ethernet drivers. They won't even have a display hooked up as I'll just VNC in to them if need be. If I can't get Xubuntu to work properly I'll try something else.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 3, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,566

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Thanks for the post. Actually yes I do plan on throwing it on both of the SR-2s. The only drivers I care for are the ethernet drivers. They won't even have a display hooked up as I'll just VNC in to them if need be. If I can't get Xubuntu to work properly I'll try something else.
Only concern would be NUMA support, IIRC most of the Ubuntu distros leave it out by default. (though I'm unsure about Kubuntu) It wouldn't hurt to try though, it's just a little bit of wasted bandwidth/time. If you do find one that works, but don't like the weight of the OS, you can just change it afterwards.

Linux distros meant for clusters or commercial use usually have it, but I don't think F@H works on clusters (since it's a cluster in itself) and using a commercial/enterprise distro might be a huge inconvenience in terms of tech support.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 3, 2011, 01:24 PM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,926

My System Specs

Default

I want NUMA disabled anyways. Helps a bit w/ PPD (at least w/ Windows). Anyways Xubuntu wouldn't even start installing. Kept scrolling something about no device in slot 0.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 8, 2011, 06:23 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Linux n00b here. Going to try Linux for my dedicated folding@home rigs. Think I am going to try Xubuntu. Now the question is. What can I use to test for CPU stability. Are there any Linpack stress testers available? Also what is a good program to read CPU core temperatures?
Try these links and see if they interest you:

Linux Toolkits: Intel® Optimized LINPACK Benchmark for Linux OS

One Man's Journey Into Linux: Show us yer FLOPS!

Phoronix Test Suite - Linux Testing & Benchmarking Platform, Automated Testing Framework, Open-Source Benchmarking

http://www.compdigitec.com/labs/2008...emp-in-ubuntu/

lm-sensors
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fail to get work on linux CPU client? martin_metal_88 HardwareCanucks F@H Team 9 June 6, 2010 06:26 PM
Overly high CPU load and inability to run programs smoothly Maplicito Troubleshooting 15 March 26, 2010 11:32 AM
Post your Linpack max temps superj Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking 10 September 10, 2009 03:16 PM
CPU Temperature Differences silent1mezzo Troubleshooting 8 September 4, 2009 09:13 PM
CPU Temperature E8400 3.0ghz CaptainSnake CPU's and Motherboards 13 May 17, 2008 04:22 PM