Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Firewall/security program (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/40291-firewall-security-program.html)

Blu January 28, 2011 09:10 AM

Firewall/security program

Basically I've been trying to find a good firewall has good protection, here is my story: I kept getting odd and random connections from odd IP addresses to me via port 135, so I wanted to block the port, windows firewall for some reason wasn't doing the job so I ended up ditching it for zone alarm, which didn't do the job either so I found a online suggestion for Comodo firewall so I downloaded it, scanned my ports and bravo it was all blocked and I found it to be quite handy until I started using my normal programs like putty, winscp and such. There was terrible lag as if my server loads were in the tens/hundreds but no they were fine it was just my connection using this firewall (by the way I was testing my ports here, https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 in case you wanted to know) So I'm finally sick and tired of it, I've tried using Comodo's safe application feature long enough, this is starting to make my once fun and enjoyable work annoying and slow. Does anyone have any suggestions for a new firewall or something out there? On boxing day I did buy kaspersky (not sure if it was the anti virus or internet security) but I can't find it at the moment, when I do I might try it out though but until then any suggestions? I have a fear if I open port 135 I will get hacked again (I got hacked about 4-5 months ago and formatted my pc when it happened, basically I woke up and my mouse was moving around and on my desktop a keylogger was installing, I still don't know how I got this but I believe it was talking to a friend who had a back door on his pc via aim as I told him to scan his pc and he did find a trojan and the exact same keylogger that was installed on my pc, I have since cut ties with him) as the connections that come to me from port 135 seem to be usually from chinese subnets. Thanks for any suggestions/help you may have in advance.

JD January 28, 2011 09:20 AM

Can't you block it on your router? That's the best firewall IMO. Hardware beats software any day.

enaberif January 28, 2011 09:35 AM

If your on Eastlink you should be using a router no matter what.

Pick up a good Linksys router and block the port

Blu January 28, 2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 479256)
If your on Eastlink you should be using a router no matter what.

Pick up a good Linksys router and block the port

I just got a straight modem, when I've tried it in my old linksys router it doesn't work at all and when I did get it to work I couldn't forward any ports in it and was told it was outdated by eastlink and to not use it as I could damage there modem by using it and such...

Side question, do wireless routers allow for wired connections? I'm not a fan of the wireless, unless it was going to say an xbox/wii/ps3/htpc

Exlibris January 28, 2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu (Post 479262)
I just got a straight modem, when I've tried it in my old linksys router it doesn't work at all and when I did get it to work I couldn't forward any ports in it and was told it was outdated by eastlink and to not use it as I could damage there modem by using it and such...

Side question, do wireless routers allow for wired connections? I'm not a fan of the wireless, unless it was going to say an xbox/wii/ps3/htpc

Damage their modem? That doesn't pass the smell test. Call them back and see if there is someone more knowledgeable. If you're on cable then they may need to release the MAC address of the modem to allow the router to be assigned a WAN IP address, if you're on DSL then the router probably just needs the correct PPPoE credentials entered.

And yes, your average consumer wireless router will allow for wired connections, usually four.

enaberif January 28, 2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu (Post 479262)

Your on Eastlink and NOT using a router? :shok::shok:

Dear lord.

Yes a good router will allow both wireless and wired connections.. those reports about stuff coming in on port 135 is probably a worm of some sort.

Blu January 28, 2011 10:48 AM

If it's a worm of sorts will a router still block that or no? should I keep what I currently have as well? Also I found these in my hard drives main directory that were hidden, I can only see them via my FTP programs

I:\Virtualroot\ <----Folder with nothing in it from what I can see
I:\boot.ini
I:\csb.log
I:\NTDETECT.COM
I:\ntldr
I:\pagefile.sys

Edit: Picture,
http://i.imgur.com/MIucu.png

Should I be worried? (Yes I is my main HD) How come it's so bad running on eastlink without a router? If it really is can you guys suggest me a nice little router then :D? One that could connect to a HTPC in my living room as well connect to my main pc wired and then a wired xbox 360 and then a wireless 360/ps3/wii ? is all that possible with one router?

enaberif January 28, 2011 10:52 AM

Of course the router will block it.. Its what its meant to do with its built in firewall.

It also hides your computer from the internet so you aren't exposed like you are now.

Perineum January 28, 2011 10:56 AM

ditch all that "firewall" crap you're using and use a router.....

Exlibris January 28, 2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu (Post 479280)
If it really is can you guys suggest me a nice little router then :D? One that could connect to a HTPC in my living room as well connect to my main pc wired and then a wired xbox 360 and then a wireless 360/ps3/wii ? is all that possible with one router?

Almost any router should do. Take these:

NCIX.com - Buy Belkin F5D8236-4 N Wireless N Router 802.11N 300MBS 4PT 10/100 One Touch security Setup - F5D8236-4 In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router 802.11G/B/N Wireless Router Triple Antenna QoS - DIR-655 In Canada.